VMware Networking Community
mdpvmware
Contributor
Contributor

NSX 6.x Endpoint Licensing

Hello,

We currently have vShield 5.0 Endpoint licenses.  I don't see an option in the web to upgrade these to NSX 6.0 Endpoint.  Vsphere 5.5 included free vShield 5.5 licenses, are the NSX 6.0 Endpoint licenses also free?  Anyone move from 5.0 to 6.x?  I see in the guide that to upgrade you must first move to 5.5 then 6.x but as previously mentioned, I don't see an option to upgrade my 5.0 licenses even to 5.5.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hs77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vShield endpoint is renamed Guest Introspection Service in NSX 6.1.

To use vShield endpoint in NSX 6.X you first need to upgrade vShield Manager to NSX Manager

For new installation to deploy vshield endpoint/Guest Intrsospection Service in NSX:

Web Client>Networking & Security>Installation>Service deployment. Click + and select guest Introspection Services

0 Kudos
mdpvmware
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response and information.  vShield licensing was included as part of vSphere 5.5 licensing.  How is NSX 6.x Endpoint (Guest Introspection Service) licensed?  Is it part of vSphere 6?  Currently, I can't download the NSX 6.x manager upgrade bundle as it says I am not entitled. 

0 Kudos
hs77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vShield endpoint license is included with vSphere 6 standard edition onwards. see the link below.

Compare VMware vSphere Editions and Kits Comparison | United States.

When you click on vshield endpoint on the compare page and it takes you to vshield endpoint page, there it is mentioned that it has to be managed by vShield Manager

vShield Manager is part of vCNS which has been discontinued now.

Somebody from VMware need to clarify on this issue whether vShield endpoint in vSphere 6 will be managed by NSX 6.x or vShield Manager.

0 Kudos