VMware Networking Community
spindle77
Contributor
Contributor

NSX 6.1.4 add Domain

Within NSX, trying to add a "domain" but I keep getting the error "User name is not specified" even though I have specified a user in multiple different configurations.

e.g.

- user

- DOMAIN\user

- user@DOMAIN

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Verify that the lookup service is configured in NSX Manager UI.

0 Kudos
spindle77
Contributor
Contributor

Yes we have both "Lookup Service" and "vCenter Server" properly registered and authenticated.

Any other ideas? Almost seems like a bug in the NSX UI.

In my initial attempts to complete this tab, I was getting an error regarding authenticating against the AD, so I tried a couple different iterations of AD users, and then a different AD server, but as those failed, I backed out of the UI to validate my inputs.

I then cam back into the NSX UI and re-opened the DOMAIN tab and started over in adding a domain.

Then I started seeing this error.

If you wiped out the field and leave it blank it says "there are incorrect or missing values"

Almost seems like when you have data in those fields the UI cannot correctly parse the results.

0 Kudos
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I was able to reproduce the error when removing the configuration for the lookup service.  There may be some benefit in re-registering the lookup service in NSX Manager.

That being said, the release notes for 6.2 has the following note.

NSX Manager Resolved Issues

• Add Domain shows error at LDAP option with Use Domain Credentials
      In NSX 6.1.x, the user when trying to add an LDAP domain, the web client gave a User Name was not specified error, even when Username was provided in UI. This has been fixed in NSX 6.2.0.

VMware NSX for vSphere 6.2.0 Release Notes

0 Kudos
spindle77
Contributor
Contributor

yeh.. 6.2.x is not an option...

0 Kudos
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I found that after re-registering the lookup service, I was presented the same error you are reporting.  As shown below.  Then, I checked the checkbox for Use Domain Credentials, which resulted in the second image below.  Finally, I unchecked Use Domain Credentials, and click next and I was brought to the next steps in the wizard (3rd image below). 

So, in this case, the work around was to check and uncheck the checkbox for Use Domain Credentials.  I don't know why it worked.  Maybe it will work for you.

Step1.JPG

Step2.JPG

Step3.JPG

Step4.JPG

0 Kudos
spindle77
Contributor
Contributor

Let me try that... Will report back..

0 Kudos