VMware Networking Community
KevinDS95
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Minimum NSX-T Manager required

Hi All,

I'm working on a customer project which consists in creating a new vSAN 2-Nodes cluster and I have a question with this but I don't find any answers in VMware docs (only availability notion).

Does NSX-T Manager work with 1 appliance ? if yes, what sizing do you think is a good choice ? Medium ?

My customer wants to use microsegmentation of NSX-T

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaSo2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, it does (I would go with Medium size). More is written here https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-NSX-T-Data-Center/3.2/installation/GUID-10CF4689-F6CD-4007-A33E-A9... - for production deployment it is recommended to have 3, but it will run also with 1. Not sure what support will tell you though if you mark your environment as production and have only 1 NSX Manager appliance there :).

Mind the fact that if you do not have connectivity from the TNs to the Manager node your data plane works, but management and control does not - you won't be able to do any configuration changes and vMotion VMs between hosts / connect them to different logical segments etc.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JaSo2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, it does (I would go with Medium size). More is written here https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-NSX-T-Data-Center/3.2/installation/GUID-10CF4689-F6CD-4007-A33E-A9... - for production deployment it is recommended to have 3, but it will run also with 1. Not sure what support will tell you though if you mark your environment as production and have only 1 NSX Manager appliance there :).

Mind the fact that if you do not have connectivity from the TNs to the Manager node your data plane works, but management and control does not - you won't be able to do any configuration changes and vMotion VMs between hosts / connect them to different logical segments etc.

0 Kudos
KevinDS95
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.

I understand know that if a have 1 or 3 NSX Manager is officialy supported, but in case of vSAN 2-Node architecture, are we agree there is no value of having 1 or 3 NSX Manager ? I'm thinking of that because it is possible to set up vSphere HA with highest priority for 1 NSX Manager ? of course if we disregard VMware support question

0 Kudos
JaSo2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, that is possible and it seems as a way to go (it is in the docs - the link that I have posted):

• If you deploy a single NSX Manager or Global Manager in a production environment, you can also enable vSphere HA on the host cluster for the manager nodes to get automatic recovery of the manager VM in case of ESXi failure. For more information on vSphere HA, see the vSphere Availability guide in the vSphere Documentation Center.