VMware Networking Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Migrating from the 5.5 vds to NSX

Currently I am in an environment with 5.5 and the vsphere distributed switch.  What is involved in migrating to NSX? is there a guide for the migration ?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rbudavari
Community Manager
Community Manager

It is an in place upgrade to NSX if you are already using the VDS as opposed to a migration (Host Preparation will add the required VIBs for NSX functionality).

ChrisBCarlson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is a hard question to ask, no one here knows the nuances of you're network. You might take many different approaches on migrating based on what is in you're environment and you're needs. What i would really do is first understand the fundamentals of NSX.(logical switches, vteps etc.). once you learn these it will help you understand you're migration approach.

The only thing i can suggest is to do the Hands on labs that vmware offers, that is what works for me. If i have any questions i look to documentation on specifics. The documentation in my opinion needs work though so you might run out of luck there.

TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

My question really has to do more with the migrating virtual switching inside vSphere than with the physical network and the variety of other considerations.

But as far as just getting the virtual switching on the hypervisor compatible with NSX -

So since I am already using the vDS, I can just at the VIBs to the hypervisor and I will have the vswitch used by NSX?  

0 Kudos
ChrisBCarlson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, once you install the NSX manager you will have the ability to prepare the host for that type of networking. Which is just pushing the VIBS to the host.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

NSX does not replace VDS, it extends its capabilities with Logical Switches that can cross multiple VDS using VXLAN, distributed routing, distributed firewall, and service insertion capability.

As you probably know, VDS is a pre-requisite for NSX for vSphere.

0 Kudos
Allanloran
Contributor
Contributor

if you need a good training you should use the following webcast #vBrownBag Follow-Up VMware VCP-NV Objective 4 with Paul McSharry (@pmcsharry)

#vBrownBag

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

OK great thanks.  So I can design my vDS the same as if I weren't using NSX, then add NSX on top of it without changing my VDS configuration?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Correct. You'll only need one additional dvPg for your VXLAN traffic (if you plan to use logical switching and routing).

0 Kudos