VMware Networking Community
tspit0001
Contributor
Contributor

Maximum Network Size in a logical switch

Hey Folks,

So I know there isn't necessarily a "Max Network Size" in a logical switch, but I am curious of any recommendations given the optimization of arp/broadcasts within logical network segment (logical switch/vxlan) over traditional physical switches/vlans.

Traditionally I wouldn't recommend any subnet larger than a /24 on a network utilizing traditional vlans, max network segment size you would recommend in an NSX logical switch?

I figure you're reducing arp/broadcast traffic substantially over your VTEPs, and there's really none of that being relayed to your physical network, so really the limitation seems like it would come down to how much of that arp/broadcast noise that your hosts could muster. Maybe there's even a maximum arp entry in the controllers that I'm not considering either.

Anyways. Any input would be good. For now I'm going forward with "Limit Subnets to a /24", but maybe I can change that rule of thumb because of NSX mechanics. The ability to have a larger subnet on a logical switch would really reduce my design complexity.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
2cool2touch
Contributor
Contributor

Generally speaking you should size your LS to be not more then /22's

0 Kudos
tspit0001
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I assume the justification for this is simply because you want to keep broadcast domains smallish?

0 Kudos