VMware Networking Community
VishalNSX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Logical Switches across Compute Cluster

Hello Team,

I have Overlay setup in which all my compute clusters are part of same Transport Zone.

I want to create Logical Switches such that it is present only on few clusters (and not all of them) - Is this possible ?

Thanks,

Vishal

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Richard__R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

‌The Logical Switch span will be dictated by the Transport Zone so, short of having multiple, I don't think you can do that. Transport Zones were not traditionally positioned as security boundaries - what is the use case you are trying to meet by restricting the scope to certain clusters?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Richard__R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

‌The Logical Switch span will be dictated by the Transport Zone so, short of having multiple, I don't think you can do that. Transport Zones were not traditionally positioned as security boundaries - what is the use case you are trying to meet by restricting the scope to certain clusters?

0 Kudos
VishalNSX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Richard,

Thank you for looking into my question.

I have VMs in Cluster A, Cluster B and Cluster C which are going to be part of that Logical Switches.

I am trying to limit the extent of logical switches into my clusters, so that no one can by mistake power up VMs onto that logical switches from different clusters

Thanks,

Vishal

0 Kudos
Richard__R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

‌OK - I've worked on one similar deployment where we had to achieve that via two Transport Zones. I know VMware recommend a single TZ where possible but I don't think you can do what you're looking for without introducing one per compute Cluster...then perhaps you can have a shared Edge cluster which can then exist in each of them.

0 Kudos
VishalNSX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Richard

0 Kudos