VMware Networking Community
MinaMF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

L2 Bridge issue (urgent)

Hello ,

i can now make a layer 2 bridge and connect vm on logical switch to vm on the esxi host ,

i just want to know how to make a layer 2 bridge between vm on logical switch and physical server ( DB server ) , ( how i connect this physical server to my dvportgroup i created for bridging).

Thanks Smiley Happy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The VLANs that make the underlay for VXLAN and the VLANS you want to bridge to need to be on the same VDS using the same uplink ports.  For example your DB is on VLAN 11 and we will just say the VLAN for VLXLAN transport is VLAN 10.  Then both of these VLANs will need to be trunked from the physical switch to the vswitch on the same physical interfaces.   If you Mgmt, Storage, and VMotion interfaces are also on the same VDS they will also need to have the respective VLANs trunked.

WRT to VLAN 11 being delivered across all switches from the ESXi host and the DB server - the network team will have to ensure this is done.  There are several variants between swtich vendors, protocols, and business operations that make each company slightly different.

-Heath

View solution in original post

8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Let's start with a little background and then put it all together.

1. VXLAN to VLAN bridging is configured on the DLR, and the actual bridge logic happens in kernel.

2. The bridge will happen on the ESXi host that has the active DLR control VM

3.  You will need to deploy the DLR control VM in HA.

4.  The VLAN and VXLAN need to use the same physical NICs on the ESXi hosts, and be on the same VDS.

5.  To bridge between the VLAN and VXLAN ensure that the VLAN is trunked to the ESXi host and is available across the physical switch fabric

6.  Test bridging

More details can be found here - VMware NSX for vSphere 6.2 Documentation Center

-Heath

MinaMF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Heath , Really Thanks for your support Smiley Happy

but i don't know how to do steps 4 and 5

" 4.  The VLAN and VXLAN need to use the same physical NICs on the ESXi hosts, and be on the same VDS.

-should i connect the physical NIC which i use it in VDS as uplink , to physical switch fabric on port configured as access port in vlan 11 ( as i use vlan 11 for DB server ) or to physical switch fabric on port configured as trunk ?

5.  To bridge between the VLAN and VXLAN ensure that the VLAN is trunked to the ESXi host and is available across the physical switch fabric "

-how do i check this from ESXI host ?

Thanks ,

Mina

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The VLANs that make the underlay for VXLAN and the VLANS you want to bridge to need to be on the same VDS using the same uplink ports.  For example your DB is on VLAN 11 and we will just say the VLAN for VLXLAN transport is VLAN 10.  Then both of these VLANs will need to be trunked from the physical switch to the vswitch on the same physical interfaces.   If you Mgmt, Storage, and VMotion interfaces are also on the same VDS they will also need to have the respective VLANs trunked.

WRT to VLAN 11 being delivered across all switches from the ESXi host and the DB server - the network team will have to ensure this is done.  There are several variants between swtich vendors, protocols, and business operations that make each company slightly different.

-Heath

MinaMF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

what do you mean by " the VLAN for VLXLAN transport is VLAN 10 " , what should vlan 10 be used ?

i created bridge as this procedure

VMware NSX for vSphere 6.2 Documentation Center

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No VLAN 10 is just an example.   When you are using VXLAN there is a VLAN that carries that traffic in the physical network.  It may be untagged (native VLAN) or it may be tagged.  This is dependent on your physical network design.    In both cases you need to use the same physical interfaces on the VDS for VXLAN and VLAN (bridge destination) when you need to perform bridging, and are thus trunk ports on the switch.

MinaMF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok , how i change the VLAN that carries that traffic in the physical network ?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

On the NSX side to change the VLAN for the VXLAN port group you ill need to un-configure and reconfigure the cluster.

MinaMF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes i Got it Smiley Happy , thanks very much .

0 Kudos