VMware Networking Community
Mokshir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is there any problem if we rename the portgroups created by NSX Manager?

Hi There,

Just wondering if there would be any support issues if we rename the portgroups created by NSX manager i.e. VxLAN overlay, Logical Switches, etc?

Thanks,

Mohit

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nsxmaverick
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It does not impact functionality so technically these Portgroups can be renamed, but given they contain useful identifiers for troubleshooting (VDS MoRef ID, Logical Switch object ID and Segment ID) it isn’t recommended and in general changing Portgroup properties for Logical Switches directly within VC is not supported. Also this doesn’t scale well if the environment is dynamic, plus the dvPortgroup names need to be unique within a VC if you are spanning VXLAN logical switches across multiple VDS.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jorge_luis_hern
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

There is not any problem if you rename the distributed port group created by NSX Manager, all NSX stack use the id of the objects, not the canonical name of them, I have not seen any document about of the support or not of rename the distributed portgroup created by NSX Manager, but the KB 2048035 Renaming a VMware vSphere Distributed Switch in production when virtual machines are connected (2048... says how to rename a running vDS and says that the rename of dPG are possible and not disruptive, too, so because the dPG created for NSX are the same, the support are implicit, I think, after that, why are you wanting to rename the dPG associated with the logical switch ? (curiosity)

Thanks,

Jorge

nsxmaverick
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It does not impact functionality so technically these Portgroups can be renamed, but given they contain useful identifiers for troubleshooting (VDS MoRef ID, Logical Switch object ID and Segment ID) it isn’t recommended and in general changing Portgroup properties for Logical Switches directly within VC is not supported. Also this doesn’t scale well if the environment is dynamic, plus the dvPortgroup names need to be unique within a VC if you are spanning VXLAN logical switches across multiple VDS.