VMware Networking Community
leotaglietti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is necessary change MTU with NSX-T VLAN Backed segments?

Hello.

I was reading about the requirements to use overlay encapsulation (GENEVE) and it's clear to use the minimum MTU 1700. But if we are working just with VLAN Backed, is it still necessary to use a minimum of 1700 MTU once there isn't overlay segments? Should we set MTU 1700 because of TEP between transport nodes or with VLAN Backed isn't necessary?

Is there any documentation from VMware saying that it's not necessary change MTU valeu with only VLAN Backend segments?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShahabKhan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

In case you are just using VLAN-backed segments, then you don't need to increase the MTU size. MTU size 1700 or more is only needed when you are using the Overlay segment to accommodate the additional overhead added by GENEVE.

Hope this answer your question.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ShahabKhan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

In case you are just using VLAN-backed segments, then you don't need to increase the MTU size. MTU size 1700 or more is only needed when you are using the Overlay segment to accommodate the additional overhead added by GENEVE.

Hope this answer your question.

leotaglietti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello, ShahabKhan.

Thank you so much for the reply. 

Do you know if there is any VMware documentation about it? I can only find documentation saying that Jumbo Frame "is required for overlay".

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
ShahabKhan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

No, I haven't seen any document for the same.

leotaglietti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you again.

0 Kudos