VMware Networking Community
MRoushdy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Integrating NSX-T management of two sites

Hello,

We have two datacenters, one in HQ, the other in another city, and there's a quite fast MPLS connection between both sites, but I'm not sure about the latency. We are deploying NSX-T for testing it, and I have a question about this please. Is it possible to deploy two independent NSX-T managers, on on each site to manage it's own site, and then connect them to each other and have stretched segment(s) (L2 stretching) across both sites?

We currently use Fortinet VXLAN to accomplish this across sites and works fine, but we need to leverage the capabilities of NSX-T.

One more question please, I need detailed documentation about deploying NSX-T across multi-sites.

vEXPERT - VCAP-DCV - Blog: arabitnetwork.com | YouTube: youtube.com/c/MohamedRoushdy
4 Replies
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your best source for NSX-T multisite is available at NSX-T Multisite Lite

This is considering multi-site topologies, where one single NSX-T manager/control cluster is responsible for more than on site. For other use cases, with separate managers/controllers, they are essentially independent sites that can leverage technologies like L2VPN or HCX, both available with NSX. This might be more adequate for your use case where the DCs seem a bit more distant.

0 Kudos
MRoushdy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for replying. I've already gone through that guide. The remote site serves as a DR site, as well as serving few local applications for the users at that site, and we need L2 stretching allow some VMs on both sites to communicate over the same subnet as required by the app vendor. So, NSX-T isn't capable of sharing segments across multiple (standalone) NSX-T managers, correct?

vEXPERT - VCAP-DCV - Blog: arabitnetwork.com | YouTube: youtube.com/c/MohamedRoushdy
0 Kudos
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

For extending L2 across separate NSX-T managers you need either L2VPN or HCX.

MRoushdy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thank you

0 Kudos