VMware Networking Community
scottgai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Install NSX-T EDGE on Dell R510 failed with

Hi Folks,

When I tried to deploy NSX-T Edge VM on a Dell R510 host, it failed with following error

NSX Edge configuration has failed. The host does not support required cpu features: ['aes'].

Seems the issue had been discussed in this thread NSX-T Edge Appliance Requirements (AES), in which it's mentioned Xeon 56xx, Xeon E7-xxx, or Xeon E5-xxx CPU model is required to support AES. However my Dell R510 is equipped with "Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5670". Seems it already meets the requirement.

And in this thread Solved:  RE: R610. AES-NI - Dell Community it's said "AES-NI need motherboard revision C2 "

Wondering if there is any other way to work around this issue on my Dell R510 server?

Or I have to upgrade/replace motherboard?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Scott

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SeanWhitney
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Scott,

As I understand, this is a hard requirement for the CPU feature without a workaround.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sean Whitney Sr. Systems Engineer, NSX Networking and Security Business Unit Check out my Blog @ www.virtually-limitless.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SeanWhitney
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Scott,

As I understand, this is a hard requirement for the CPU feature without a workaround.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sean Whitney Sr. Systems Engineer, NSX Networking and Security Business Unit Check out my Blog @ www.virtually-limitless.com
0 Kudos
scottgai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Sean, Thanks for your answer. I just tried on another R510 server and it was successful, though this one has identical configuration with the previous one I used (system revision II, bios version 1.3.6, Firmware Version  1.52). don't know what had made the difference. at the moment I would say it's because some minor hardware difference between the 2 servers.

0 Kudos