VMware Networking Community
princox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to power on NSX manager thru vSphere web client?

Hi, Everyone

After deploying & registering NSX manager (ovf) in vSphere Web Client, I shut 'NSX Manager' down via #shutdown.

However, I could not be able to find any list NSX Manager appliance or VM under vSphere Web Clent...

How can I become it power on??? (-_-) Any idea would be helpful!

Many Thanks!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hansroeder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You have me at a loss here...

Sounds like the NSX Manager is simply gone. But how would that be possible? When you deploy the NSX Manager, you deploy it into the virtual environment. This also means that the NSX Manager VM has to be on one of the ESXi hosts. If you go to Hosts and Clusters, and go through all the ESXi hosts, the NSX Manager VM isn't there? Do you have all the permissions needed to administer VMs in vSphere? If you have all the needed permissions for NSX, this does not automatically mean you also have access to everything in vSphere.

If the NSX Manager VM is truly gone, you're going to have to redeploy it. In that case, you could try the steps outlined here: https://www.vmguru.com/2016/07/removing-vmware-nsx-extension-from-vcenter/‌. However I don't know what will happen if you perform these steps while the NSX Manager VM is missing.

Also, what kind of environment are you running (production, test, homelab)? How terrible would it be if you have to start over from scratch? Do you have backups of the NSX Manager?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
rajeevsrikant
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Which version of NSX you are using.

Is the Networking & Security icon visible from the vCenter Web Client ?

0 Kudos
princox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, rajeevsrikant

Its version is 6.2.2 and I can see the Networking & Security icon from the vCenter Web Client.

But there is a message that "No NSX manager available".

I still don't know how & where to power it up.

0 Kudos
rajeevsrikant
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can you please share the screen shot of the error you have received ?

Also let me know , the account which you are using for the v Center login has the right privilege to access the NSX

0 Kudos
princox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for having an interest in this post.

I've got message as below when I clicked the channel health.

And I logged in "administrator@vsphere.local" in vCenter.

Plus, I would not able to access to NSX Manager via GUI or CLI(ssh)

cant_communicate.jpg

0 Kudos
hansroeder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you contact the administrator? Smiley Wink

Also, did you check this KB article? NSX Management Service fails to start after upgrading from VMware NSX for vSphere 6.1.5 to 6.2.0 (21...

princox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

First of all, thanks for sharing KB, it is very useful!

And from KB, I've notice that

Notes:

• If vCenter Server continues to report the error: Could not establish communication with NSX Manager, ensure that the NSX Management service is Running.
  • You may have to re-connect the NSX Manager to vCenter Server.
    1. In the NSX Manager User Interface (UI), go to Manage > NSX Management Service.
    2. Click Edit under vCenter Server.
    3. Re-enter the password for the account and click OK.

However, in my case, totally not sure NSX Management service is not running. It actually shut down status.

So I tried to find how to power it on because it deployed as ova file...

hansroeder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You're totally right, I wasn't thinking straight...

Did you also try powering on the NSX Manager VM through the C# Client? How about turning on the NSX Manager VM from the host itself, using the C# Client or the ESXi Embedded Host Client‌? You did mention that you're unable to even find the VM itself, but it must be "somewhere".

princox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, Hans

Thank you so much for having an exceptional opinion.

Thru vSphere Web Client, I would not get any information when I clicked "Network & Security" because the NSX Manager has been down.

I couldn't find any link for power it up. You may also try shut NSX manager shut down in HOL(Hands-On-Lab).

But based on your opinion (using the C# Client or the https://labs.vmware.com/flings/esxi-embedded-host-clientESXi Embedded Host Client), I may get some clue but not sure how to get C# client in ESXi.

If I deployed NSX manager as a VM or appliance type, I can easily to get it back to business but deploying ova format makes me in the middle of nowhere. :[

I shouldn't have powered it off...Anyways thanks alot!

0 Kudos
hansroeder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You have me at a loss here...

Sounds like the NSX Manager is simply gone. But how would that be possible? When you deploy the NSX Manager, you deploy it into the virtual environment. This also means that the NSX Manager VM has to be on one of the ESXi hosts. If you go to Hosts and Clusters, and go through all the ESXi hosts, the NSX Manager VM isn't there? Do you have all the permissions needed to administer VMs in vSphere? If you have all the needed permissions for NSX, this does not automatically mean you also have access to everything in vSphere.

If the NSX Manager VM is truly gone, you're going to have to redeploy it. In that case, you could try the steps outlined here: https://www.vmguru.com/2016/07/removing-vmware-nsx-extension-from-vcenter/‌. However I don't know what will happen if you perform these steps while the NSX Manager VM is missing.

Also, what kind of environment are you running (production, test, homelab)? How terrible would it be if you have to start over from scratch? Do you have backups of the NSX Manager?

0 Kudos
princox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, Hans

I think I am so stupid for this question...

As your saying, ova deployment has VM  appliance under vCenter tree.

But my circumstance has deployed it as physical server in virtualized environment.

Sorry to make you also confused and I chose your last reply as an answer.

Plus, your suggestion and reply are really constructive one!

Many Thanks!

0 Kudos
RaraTali
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks it worked

0 Kudos