VMware Networking Community
YKW1101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How much RAM should use for vmware?

Hello. This is my first writing. I'm not English-speaking culture, so please understand if my English is awkward.

I read a book about anti virus. This book guide me to follow it.(use vmware) I just followed it, but I had a problem.

My laptop doesn't run. So I should buy a new laptop.

My task is running two virtual machine one is 4gb(memory), and another is 1gb. Their storage space is 40gb. They will connect each other and continue to communicate.

And I have to kernel compile ,build, and module build.

I think I will run Chrome to search information at the same time.

The introduction seemed a little long... Sorry

so I search laptop. One is Asus ux433fn(i5). This one has 8gb memory. But I can't upgrade to 16gb.(HP envy is same)

And another is Msi ps63(i5). This can upgrade 16gb.

I like ux433 a more than ps63. But I'm afraid of memory lack.

Finally, it's point. Should I buy 16gb ram to use vmware? Is 8gb ram not enough? I can't decide about this. I have no idea.

Please choose for me. Thank you!

Actually, I don't know where to post this. I hope this community is the right place.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi YKW1101 and welcome to community!

This is not the right place to post this. Probably should be in the Workstation section but I’m get the ball rolling until a moderator moves it Smiley Wink

8GB will likely be okay for the requirements you have mentioned for the moment however as you start running more workloads (VMs) you will find it quite limiting.

Basically it it comes down to the amount of memory you need to assign to each VM so the more memory you have in your physical machine the more VMs you can run at the same time.

Does this make sense?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi YKW1101 and welcome to community!

This is not the right place to post this. Probably should be in the Workstation section but I’m get the ball rolling until a moderator moves it Smiley Wink

8GB will likely be okay for the requirements you have mentioned for the moment however as you start running more workloads (VMs) you will find it quite limiting.

Basically it it comes down to the amount of memory you need to assign to each VM so the more memory you have in your physical machine the more VMs you can run at the same time.

Does this make sense?

YKW1101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much to answer. That's so kind of you! I can't sure that I'll run more VMs.. And I should post this question in workstation section!

Thank you so much

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Closing this thread as it is continued here:

How much Ram should use for vmware?

(note, normally we remove duplicate threads, but as this has some additional tips. I'll leave it here)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos