VMware Networking Community
prabhurraj
Contributor
Contributor

How can i connect a hardware VTEP gateway to a NSX controller?

I have a hardware VTEP gateway which supports OVSDB configuration but there is no SSL support over OVSDB. Can  anyone suggest is there a way to configure the hardware VTEP to the controller without SSL.

What about the idea of using a intermediate node which can act as a SSL gateway betweent the controller and the hardware VTEP?

4 Replies
thakala
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Currently there is no OVSDB support in NSX for vSphere, so at the moment only way to connect 3rd party VTEPs to NSX-v VXLAN is to configure them on to same multicast group as NSX-v VTEPs to use multicast replication.

Tomi http://v-reality.info
0 Kudos
prabhurraj
Contributor
Contributor

I have a NSX-MH installed in my environment, but my hardware gateway doesnt support SSL. It only has the ability to use OVSDB protocol.

0 Kudos
ddesmidt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Just for other readers:

Hardware VTEP allows L2 VXLAN/VLAN connectivity.

That's for the use case where you have VMs on a VXLAN logical switch (10.1.1.11/24)  and you want them L2 connected to physical servers on a VLAN (10.1.1.21/24).

NSX offers native VXLAN/VLAN connectivity too:

1. with DLR bridging (used for Logical/Physical L2 connectivity within a DC)

2. with L2 SSL-VPN (used for Logical/Physical L2 connectivity with a remote location)

NSX-v 6.2 (planed early Q3) will support Hardware VTEP.

Contact your physical switch vendor to see if it will support integration with NSX-v.

Important Note:

HW VTEP will be incompatible with NSX Distributed Logical Router function. In other words the subnet (10.1.1.0/24) extended from Logical (VXLAN) to Physical (VXLAN) via HW VTEP won't be able use a dist L3 (only central L3).

When using NSX-v 6.2 native VXLAN/VLAN bridging, you'll be able to combine VXLAN/VLAN bridging and still enjoy Dist L3 for that subnet.

Dimitri

krunal7558
Contributor
Contributor

why cant you do Logical switch with Multicast mode and combine hardware VTEPs with it?  Hardware VTEP is only used for VXLAN segments with multicast mode which is standard and all hardware VTEPs switches will support it. Here controller is not in picture.

0 Kudos