VMware Networking Community
mahudees
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hosts are not connecting through IPV6 layer 2 where as IPV4 layer2 connectivity works

I have two VMs with 2 interfaces, connected to different vSwitches. 

Out of these 2 interfaces,

eth0 have static IPv4, IPv6 assigned. The vSwtich connected to this interface has only these two VM's connected in it and has no connection to physical adapters. 

eth1 always get IP address from DHCP.

When I try ping static IPv4 address (configured on eth1 respectively) both machines are reachable to each other.

Similarly when tried ping6 on static IPv6 (configured on eth1 respectively), getting "connect: Network is unreachable".

My assumption is that since the devices are connected to same vSwtich it should be able to reachable via IPV6 also (as like it was the case in IPV4).

I'm not much familiar with IPV6, please do let me know if I'm missing something.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
p0wertje
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

I see no issue here.
In this example you see 2 vms, they can ping each other. Can you ping the ipv6 link address ? (fe80::xxxxx)
Have you configured by hand ? I do get Network unreachable if you try to ping an address that is not in the same ipv6 subnet. (i do not have an default ipv6 gateway)

p0wertje_0-1620194393596.png

Cheers,
p0wertje | VCIX6-NV | JNCIS-ENT | vExpert
Please kudo helpful posts and mark the thread as solved if solved

View solution in original post

2 Replies
p0wertje
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

I see no issue here.
In this example you see 2 vms, they can ping each other. Can you ping the ipv6 link address ? (fe80::xxxxx)
Have you configured by hand ? I do get Network unreachable if you try to ping an address that is not in the same ipv6 subnet. (i do not have an default ipv6 gateway)

p0wertje_0-1620194393596.png

Cheers,
p0wertje | VCIX6-NV | JNCIS-ENT | vExpert
Please kudo helpful posts and mark the thread as solved if solved
mahudees
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you @p0wertje for your response, yes I'm able to ping the address (link local) like you mentioned.

In addition to that, I have tried configuring the IPV6 address manually as mentioned here, Under the section "8.12.3 Manual address configuration", which also worked.

Accepting this as correct answer as it solved the connection (ping) issue for which I raised.

Thanks Again,

Mahudees

Tags (1)
0 Kudos