VMware Networking Community
Vish173
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Generic questions about Edge Nodes

Hello Experts,

I have following queries about the NSX-T edge nodes:

• Considering NSX-T can support large number of Edge Nodes (320 in NSX-T 2.5) ; Do all the edge node clusters have to be connected same router
  • Is it possible to deploy two different edge clusters - one providing NAT service to set of transport nodes and the other providing DHCP to separate set of transport nodes?
  • When you create multiple tier-0 routers on the edge node, do the transport nodes get multiple instances too or just one?

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Edge nodes are pool of resources for T0 gateways and for T1 gateways if you want stateful services like NAT, LB, Gateway Firewall on them. You size them according to your environment and in case they have T0 gateway you can connect them to whichever physical routers you want and should design your network to fit your needs.

Your edge clusters can be separate for different services if you want, this is not a problem.

Each edge node can only have 1 T0.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Edge nodes are pool of resources for T0 gateways and for T1 gateways if you want stateful services like NAT, LB, Gateway Firewall on them. You size them according to your environment and in case they have T0 gateway you can connect them to whichever physical routers you want and should design your network to fit your needs.

Your edge clusters can be separate for different services if you want, this is not a problem.

Each edge node can only have 1 T0.

0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

Kindly find the hereunder responses:

• Considering NSX-T can support a large number of Edge Nodes (320 in NSX-T 2.5) ; Do all the edge node clusters have to be connected the same router

Edge cluster and node are dedicated to run network services that cannot be distributed to the hypervisors, and NSX Edge node is the appliance that provides physical NICs to connect to the physical infrastructure, so each cluster/node could be connected to different physical router (next hop).

• Is it possible to deploy two different edge clusters - one providing NAT service to set of transport nodes and the other providing DHCP to separate set of transport nodes?

Yes you can, and also you can use single edge cluster to provide the two services as well but you have to take into consideration the sizing of these appliances.

• When you create multiple tier-0 routers on the edge node, do the transport nodes get multiple instances too or just one?

When one of these services is configured or an uplink is defined on the logical router to connect to the physical infrastructure, a SR is instantiated on the NSX Edge node. The NSX Edge node is also a transport node just like compute nodes in NSX-T Data Center, and similar to compute node the NSX Edge can connect to more than one transport zone – one for overlay and other for North-South peering with external devices.

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
Vish173
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you guys for your replies.

Cheers

0 Kudos
ggovek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a question about Edge Node cluster. How can I figure out which Edge Node is Active and which is standby in NSX-T 3.1.

0 Kudos