VMware Networking Community
niksheridan
Contributor
Contributor

Failover between sites with Primary and Secondary NSX Manager Configuration - What about the controllers?

Hi forum,

Its still not clear to me, despite the documentation I have read what happens to the NSX controllers in the event the primary site goes completely offline.  I have a secondary vcentre in a linked mode, a primary and secondary NS manager, but my NSX controller cluster only exists at my primary site?

During a complete failover, do I need to manually create a new universal NSX controller cluster at the DR site?  Could this be automated with SRM?  Or most importantly whats the recommended approach?

Thanks

Nik

5 Replies
Richard__R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

‌It's a manual redeployment into the recovery site after promoting the Manager there to a Primary. You then update the Controller state from the Manager and hosts will be notified that they need to talk to the new Controller Cluster. You can't protect the Controller Nodes with SRM.

RaymundoEC
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

‌I belive you can use an API call to automate the deployment after a failure and then put it in a vRO WF to invoke when disaster occurs.

+vRay
Richard__R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

‌Good point - and that's no doubt the best approach. When I say manual I mean you have to put something in to handle that as NSX won't natively orchestrate it.

0 Kudos
GyroDom
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks Richard,

I was about to ask this question too.

The only place it's listed in any documentation is on page 26 of 'Disaster recovery with NSX and SRM'

0 Kudos
NealeC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Of course not! 🙂

Then VMware couldn't sell more VRO/VCO/VRA licenses 🙂

I think that the monitoring/alerting in NSX is still a bit "green" too.

As they make it more vmware and less Nicera I think that will improve though.

6.2.2. is a massive leap in bugfixes and traceflow is awesome!

-------------- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Chris Neale VCIX6-NV;vExpert2014-17;VCP6-NV;VCP5-DCV;VCP4;VCA-NV;VCA-DCV;VTSP2015;VTSP5;VTSP4 http://www.chrisneale.org http://www.twitter.com/mrcneale
0 Kudos