VMware Networking Community
oban3jimmy
Contributor
Contributor

Experience with NSX-T

Hi all,

VMware newbie here ... got a project where I need to take a LOT of physical infrastructure and P2V it to a new VM farm.

Looking at NSX-T to micro segment the access to these new VMs ... essentially creating a tenant model of different departments. No department can see each other etc.

Was thinking about a Juniper underlay of switching; initially thought about using SD style networking but figure NSX-T will do a better job of this?

i need to be able to do some unusual stuff in this farm:

1. host very old operating systems which are now unsupported

2. Enable a way for users to interact with those operating systems without directly accessing them - a Remote Desktop service for example. Does VMware have this feature?

3. SD the entire physical platform; everyone shares physical storage / ram / cpu but we can create lots of virtual segmentation (tenant model)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RaymundoEC
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

assuming I got your point here are some answers on your query:

1&2 if the OS it is supported on a frame of VM (vSphere VM virtual hardware) aka vSphere version that can be used with NSX-T it is transparent for the them, the OS at nic level will see a flat L2 wire aka Segment in Overlay so for the Overlay you will need a VLAN presented to the ESXi hosts to act as a carrier of the Segments.

3 and related o 1&2 with this Overlay you get segmented or isolated the VMs each other no matter they consume CPU and Memory on same ESXi hosts they won't be able to "see" each other.

+vRay
0 Kudos