VMware Networking Community
Dmitry_G
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Enabling NSX on cluster cause high CPU load

I'm testing NSX in my nested vSphere lab, when enable NSX on cluster each nested esxi starts to use 100% of 1 pCore assigned to nested ESXi.

esxtop shows that netcpa process use 100% of resource of 1 pcore.

Also I try to reproduce that situation on physical hardware, and the result was the same, netcpa uses 100% of one pcore.

Is it normal situation? Why NSX uses so much resource.

VCAP-DCD, VCAP-DCA, VCP-Cloud, VCP-DCV, CCNA
5 Replies
James__M
Contributor
Contributor

You'll have to give more details:

-is hardware on vSphere and NSX HCL?

-physical hardware specifications

-NSX version

-vSphere components installed, versions and baseline functionality (is environment falling apart or functional and super fast)

-How far have you gotten with the NSX deployment...did you fully deploy solution or stop at the host preparation step when you noticed high CPU load

-are there any other problems in environment or with host/s

-is the solution licensed properly

-have you checked the netcpa log file on the ESXi host?

-have you checked the hostd log file on the ESXi host?

0 Kudos
a_krenev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

HI,

that was a known issue at least for NSX 6.1.3 + vSphere 6, which is now resolved in 6.1.4 update (VMware NSX for vSphere 6.1.4 Release Notes)

Dmitry_G
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi!

Thnx for your replay. As I can see in that article only said about fixed issue with CPU usage on NSX manager and not on ESXi hosts. anyway I'll test this version in my lab.

VCAP-DCD, VCAP-DCA, VCP-Cloud, VCP-DCV, CCNA
0 Kudos
a_krenev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I suppose such kind of fix could be excluded from the release notes because nested environment is not officially supported.

Please let me know if it worked for your lab.

0 Kudos
aalbar
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue using NSX 6.1.3 on nested environment. I re-deployed NSX using 6.1.4 and it works like charm!

My compute cluster is using vSAN, so one thing I did this time was to set the vSAN network on different port-group than the NSX VXLAN zone. I though that vSAN traffic on top of NSX would cause this high CPU, especially in nested environments were IP packets usually get DUP-licated Smiley Wink

0 Kudos