VMware Networking Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Education path?

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out the best path forward in terms of certifications (or other forms of learning) that would be relevant for my job here writing NSX user documentation.

I already have the CCNA and various Juniper certifications, including JNCIS-SP and JNCIP-SP, and a large amount of hands-on experiencing configuring and troubleshooting topologies using Cisco IOS (in school) and, more recently, Junos (in my former job).

With that foundation already acquired, what are the next steps to learn cloud technology in general and virtual networking specifically? What cloud certifications are respected in the field?

I’m doing NSX 101 training now, and it’s great, but I think I need to build a foundation in cloud technology to give NSX more context and meaning.

When I was at Juniper, my job was to write about BGP, multicast, L3VPNs, MPLS traffic engineering, etc. The truth is I was lost. I found that the best path forward for me was to 1) immerse myself in networking fundamentals (via CCNA lectures and labs and IP addressing workbooks) 2) port that knowledge to working in the lab at Juniper. Only then did I become really good at my job, developing lab-tested examples and rewriting the logical systems and L3 protocol documentation in an examples-oriented format.

Here, I’d like to do the same thing: Study the fundamentals of cloud and virtual networking as a path toward writing great documentation that helps our customers be successful with NSX.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Betsy Lichtenberg

0 Kudos
4 Replies
shijimol
Contributor
Contributor

You should have a good understanding of Virtual networking to progress to NSX. Suggest that you use trial versions of VMware ESXi and vCenter to start with and understand the concepts. Then you could progress to try out your hand at cloud softwares like vCloud or Openstack. NSX integrates well with Openstack as per the documents. SInce you are already doing NSx course, it would be easier for you to pick up

Titanomachia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would look at the vmware labs on distributed switches. Download the VMware Networking documentation from their website.

VMware - NEE

You can also get the NSX documentation from the vmware site.

admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks! Good ideas. How about cloud/VMware certifications? Which ones should I go for, if any?

0 Kudos
Titanomachia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't think these certs will help you for Nsx. Maybe vcp-cloud is your best choice alongside vcp-dcv

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

0 Kudos