VMware Networking Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Edge services gateway and home lab

Is it possible to use the edge services gateway to create a VPN to my home lab from a remote location assuming I have the licensing?

9 Replies
vmmeup
Expert
Expert

Yes I currently have an EDGE Gateway connected straight to my providers uplink (It's a secondary connection not the primary) On the Edge Gateway I run a L2 IPSec VPN to a remote location as well as an SSL VPN for remote access to my lab.

Sid Smith ----- VCP, VTSP, CCNA, CCA(Xen Server), MCTS Hyper-V & SCVMM08 [http://www.dailyhypervisor.com] - Don't forget to award points for correct and helpful answers. 😉
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

OK great thanks.  Can this be done with a trial license for NSX or do you have to buy a full NSX license to do this?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Trial license should be fine.

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Okay thanks. If you're going to connect to the edge services Gateway from

your laptop, what client software do you need to have on your laptop in

order to make this work?

On Thursday, October 16, 2014, DmitriK <communities-emailer@vmware.com>

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

SSL VPN component of Edge has a built-in client packages for Mac, Linux, and Windows.

You connect to your Edge via https, and it will display a page where you can download the client. Please check the admin guide for more details.

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are trial licenses available for NSX ? I have been trying to locate one for use in my home lab.

0 Kudos
RussH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You automatically get 60 days when you install NSX after which it becomes unlicensed and you'll need to speak to your rep/accnt mgr for extentions.

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks Russ,

Actually getting my hands on the .ova is the issue at the moment, ill try my account manager again and see if he can help.

Rich

0 Kudos
cmiller78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No trial licenses are available unless you work with VMware or a partner to do a planned POC. Or if you purchase it, there is an instant-on temporary license when you install the NSX Manager OVA in another environment.

0 Kudos