LS-Transit (5002)

DLR

LIF1 172.16.10.1 -> LS-Service1

LIF2 172.16.20.1 -> LS-Service2

Uplink 192.168.10.2 -> LS-Transit

Edge

LIF1 192.168.10.1 -> LS-Transit

Uplink 10.10.10.139 -> Uplink-DPortGroup

I have OSPF configured between the DLR and Edge and the routing tables on each are showing they have picked up each others routes. All VMS can ping each other. All VMs can ping their default gateway (.1) on the DLR. The Edge can ping all 172.16.X.1 address. The DLR can ping 10.10.10.139.

However the VMs can't ping 10.10.10.139 and the Edge can't ping any of the VMs. Can anybody explain why????

PS all firewalls are set to accept all

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pwright84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

All fixed I deleted everything and reinstalled using the new 6.2 release configured it all the same way I did before and its now all working as expected.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Do you have Route Redistribution enabled such that OSPF learns from the connected interfaces?

0 Kudos
pwright84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes route redistribution setup.

Show ip route on both the Edge and the DLR is showing the learnt "E2" routes

0 Kudos
p0wertje
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Do you have a default gateway on the DLR pointing to the EDGE ?

Cheers,
p0wertje | VCIX6-NV | JNCIS-ENT | vExpert
Please kudo helpful posts and mark the thread as solved if solved
0 Kudos
pwright84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes gateway is set to 192.168.10.1 -> LS-Transit

0 Kudos
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

What's the management IP of your DLR?  Is the network on which your management IP resides excluded from route redistribution?

I feel like the article below may be of some benefit:

VMware KB: NSX for vSphere 6.0 and 6.1: Considerations for Management Interface of Distributed Logic...

If that all looks good, ECMP may be causing what you are seeing, which is by design.  I can point you in the direction of some information on that as well.

0 Kudos
pwright84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't have a management IP configured as I was aware it can cause problems so just access through the console when needed.

I don't believe I have ECMP enabled so doubt its that.

0 Kudos
pwright84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've removed the edge to strip my environments back  to a very basic setup of 2 x LS (172.16.10.0/24 & 172.16.20.0/24) and 1 x DLR. The problem I now have is a VM on the .10 subnet can contact another VM on the .10 fine irrespective of where the other VM is e.g same host or different host. However the problem I have is a VM on the .10 subnet can only ping a VM on the .20 subnet if this VM is on the same host. Ping tests between the host all work fine and no firewalls rules are set to deny or reject. Can some explain why this might be?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Paul,

Can you confirm you run packet tracing in guest? After running packet tracing both sides confirm if the syn part of the ping is getting through in one direction?

Also, can you confirm that 2 vms on the .20 subnet can communicate when on different hosts?

After that point, try and restart the agents on the ESXi hosts ( assuming this is still POC/Test)

Via ssh to all ESXi hosts.

/etc/init.d/netcpad stop

/etc/init.d/netcpad start

Please also confirm what build of NSX and ESXi you're running?

Cheers,

Redmond

0 Kudos
pwright84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes 2 VMs on the .20 can communicate when on different host or on the same host but can only communicate with a .10 VM on the same host.

I restarted the netcpad agents on all hosts but no I get no communication between subnets only VMs within the same subnet irrespective of host location.

I'm running NSX v6.1.4 Build 2691049 and ESXi 5.5.Build 2026576

0 Kudos
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You may see some benefit using the redeploy option for the DLR edge appliance.

0 Kudos
pwright84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

All fixed I deleted everything and reinstalled using the new 6.2 release configured it all the same way I did before and its now all working as expected.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions

0 Kudos