VMware Networking Community
RaymundoEC
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

EDGE not list on dpdk intrface the nvds logical segments

Hi, there guys,

I need so badly some help, I´m in the middle of deployment of NSX-T so EDGE has become a kind of difficult task, I check that is supported to deploy and EDGE Gateway with NVDS segments backend so, my issue is that when I click on the combo box for the dpdk interface does not list the logical segments to be used to pin this interface and the segment, so I wonder if missing something or do I need to check something else, all versions of vCenter and ESXi are supported with 2.4 version of nsx-t in this case.

thanks!

+vRay
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RaymundoEC
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Design driver to use only one N-VDS in Transport Nodes and migrate everything from VDS to it.

+vRay

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you using physical edges?

0 Kudos
RaymundoEC
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

no sir it is an EDGE VM.

+vRay
0 Kudos
RaymundoEC
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

this is what I'm looking to achieve :

NSX-T Edge

so int he wizard the TEP interface of the EDGE does not list the Logical Segment to pin it, so in the picture will be the vNIC2 connected to Edge-Transport-LS Vlan 73 to be used as TEP for EDGE VM.

+vRay
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

DPDK only works for physical edges if I'm not mistaken. And I'm not positive but I don't think you can use a logical switch as a transport zone for either type.

0 Kudos
RaymundoEC
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

you are correct, but in 2.4 version the DPDK fastpath interface is necessary to be pinned so that you select uplink-x and  the backend like DvPortgroup or a Logical Segment the last one in the case of an NVDS so that is my problem I can not see the LS to leverage them to connect this interface for overlay ending.

+vRay
0 Kudos
RaymundoEC
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Any other ideas in this issue guys? thanks!!

+vRay
0 Kudos
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Is this when deploying a new Edge VM on a TN that has an NVDS? I have a lab where I have this scenario and the LS I want to connect the Edge to doesn’t show up. Since I still have a VSS I simply chose any port group and after the Edge VM is deployed I go to vCenter and manually change the connection to the LS I want.

If this is the problem you could do a manual deployment of the Edge VM and then add it to NSX-T.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm just curious (since I'm still learning NSX-T), what would be some customer scenarios in which you'd need/want to have one of the edge VMs' interfaces connected to a logical  switch? That seems like it would create a circular dependency to me.

0 Kudos
RaymundoEC
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Design driver to use only one N-VDS in Transport Nodes and migrate everything from VDS to it.

+vRay
0 Kudos
JSHARRIS3292
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey sorta new to NSX-T, but had a similar issue to the one you are describing... When attempting to add an uplink profile to the NVDS config for my edge (bare metal), My uplink profile wouldn't show up in the drop down box.  I was using a lag configuration in my uplink profile, and after hours of bang against the wall, i decide to flip the Uplink Profile's Lag LACP load Balancing setting to Source and Destination MAC address, IP address and TCP/UDP port, where previously (by default) it was only set to Source and Destination MAC address, IP address.

This fixed it, and my uplink profile showed up in the edges NVDS options.

0 Kudos
JoseLucas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello, I have the exact same problem on nsx-t 2.4.1 the N-VDS portgroup not show on edge vm deploy. Do you solve that using nsx manager to deploy?

Att.

0 Kudos
JSHARRIS3292
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes,

Edit the Uplink Profile (Fabric > Profiles > Uplink Profile, that you are attempting to use for this.

Ensure that LACP Load Balancing including TCP/UDP port for the lag.

Best of luck

0 Kudos