VMware Networking Community
Daisukey1380
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does NSX for vShield Endpoint Needs a vDS?

Hi,

"Does NSX for vShield Endpoint needs a vSphere Distributed Switch(vDS) on a vSphere cluster ?"

I have a customer who would like to know about a question below.

As far as checked the documentation on vSphere, I guess we can use NSX for vShield Endpoint without vDS.

• System Requirements for NSX for vShield Endpoint

<VMware NSX for vSphere 6.2 Documentation Center>

But I am worry about if it is not supported in case we use NSX for vShield Endpoint without vDS.

And unfortunately I cannot find the document that mentions clearly about vDS is needed or not.

Does someone know if it supported in case we use NSX for vShield Endpoint without vDS?

Regards

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vDS is not required for NSX for vShield Endpoint. We even have customers using the Nexus 1000v or standard vSwitches, both types are supported.

The documentation is not very clear about this but the dvSwitch is only required if you prepare the cluster for NSX.

VMware NSX for vSphere 6.2 Documentation Center

However, if you use the vShield for Endpoint license it is not possible to prepare the cluster for NSX and not necessary.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vDS is not required for NSX for vShield Endpoint. We even have customers using the Nexus 1000v or standard vSwitches, both types are supported.

The documentation is not very clear about this but the dvSwitch is only required if you prepare the cluster for NSX.

However, if you use the vShield for Endpoint license it is not possible to prepare the cluster for NSX and not necessary.