VMware Networking Community
jamiestarr66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Difference between creating Tier-0 Router or Gateway

Hello everyone

I am deploying NSX-T 2.4.1.  I reached the point that I can deploy my first Tier-0 router in active/active mode, I am confused about whether to deploy

a Tier-0 Router or a Tier-0 Gateway.

On page 386 of the NSX-T Data Center Admin guide, the steps are the following

A tier-0 logical router provides a gateway service between the logical and physical network

2 Select Advanced Networking & Security >Routers > Rout ers > Add.

3 Select Tier-0 Router from the drop-down menu.

pastedImage_4.png

On page 13, deploying Tier 0 Gateways

A tier-0 gateway performs the functions of a tier-0 logical router. It processes traffic between the logical

and physical networks

1 From your browser, log in with admin privileges to an NSX Manager at https://<nsx-manager-ipaddress>.

2 Select Networking > Tier-0 Gateways.

3 Click Add Tier-0 Gateway.

pastedImage_10.png

During the procedure to add the Tier-0 Gateway,  the process is requiring that I add a tag.  How have you all address Tags?

Thanks in advance....

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
serbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tag is not required. I know the UI is a bit confusing there. If you want to use tagging on your objects, “tag” is required while “scope” is optional. That’s what it’s trying to tell you there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

Best regards, Rutger

View solution in original post

4 Replies
serbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

They are exactly the same. Terminology was changed in version 2.4 and the release of the simplified UI. The old naming is still used in the manager UI.

Best regards, Rutger
jamiestarr66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Serbi

Thanks for responding...What about the requirement to add a Tag?  Can't get pass that requirement to deploy the LR.

0 Kudos
serbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tag is not required. I know the UI is a bit confusing there. If you want to use tagging on your objects, “tag” is required while “scope” is optional. That’s what it’s trying to tell you there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

Best regards, Rutger
CHrigi1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Replaying to you question: "I am confused about whether to deploy a Tier-0 Router or a Tier-0 Gateway."

Here is a nice introduction of the two new NSX-T 2.4 UI parts: Deploying NSX-T v2.4 for Enterprise PKS  > Chapter: NSX-T v2.4 Management Interfaces

Simplified UI/API, Advanced UI/API

NSX-T v2.4 User Interface

0 Kudos