VMware Networking Community
Sonikashah
Contributor
Contributor

DLR and Control VM

ia have a chassis of 15 blades . How many control vm and dlr i need to make. Please coreect. If I am making one DLR from nsx edge.. It is control vm which i am making not DLR .???

DLR is just a instance which automatically becomes when we prepare chassis

1 Reply
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The DLR is not automatically created when the hosts are prepared.

The components that are installed on the host when a cluster is prepared are VIBs  VIBs are software that are deployed to facilitate the deployment of NSX services and capabilities.  The software will do nothing (from a routing perspective) unless a DLR is deployed.  NSX 6.2 gives you two options when deploying a DLR to the environment.  First, the DLR without a control VM, which will only work with static routes.  The second approach involved the deployment of an edge appliance that provides the control plane for dynamic routing.  No data passes through the control VM.

After host preparation, you can see that no DLR exists on a host by typing net-vdr --instance -l.  Once a DLR has been created in the NSX Edges node in the Networking and Security plug in, running the same net-vdr --instance -l command will show the DLR name that corresponds with the Edge ID listed.