VMware Networking Community
Santiago-pr
Contributor
Contributor

Copy command

Hi!

When use the "copy" command with .vmdk file to copy from one external disk to other external disk, the content of the files altered?

Thank

Labels (1)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Hopefully not. A .vmdk file is like any other file, so the result should be an exact copy of the source.

André

0 Kudos
Santiago-pr
Contributor
Contributor

HI!

Thank for you message.

So,they were created by snapshot and then copy in external disk to use as evidence.

SSG

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> So,they were created by snapshot and then copy in external disk to use as evidence.
Maybe you need to clarify what exactly you plan to do.

In your initial post you said that you're going to copy from an external to another external disk. Now you say that you create a snapshot (?) that you want to copy. In addition to this, you posted your question in the NSX community.

André

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Which VMware product are you using to access the vmdk file or the VM it belongs to?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Santiago-pr
Contributor
Contributor

They actually supplied me with an external disk with .vmdk files as evidence of a cybernetic incident and my job was to copy them from external disk A to external B. Now they question that the hash of the original is not the same as the copy, I claim that is correct but the internal content of the .vmdk was not altered. Since for the internal content of the .vmdk to be altered, it must be opened in a VM environment ,,, is this correct?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Santiago-pr
Contributor
Contributor

I do not have that information, they only gave me the disk with the .vmdk

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ok, so what do you actually want to do to the vmdk file?

As it is a virtual disk file, it would be reasonable to assume you want to attach it to a VM.

If so, which product were you planning on using to do that?

It certainly won’t be NSX (where you created this thread) as that’s a software-based networking product, not a hypervisor which runs VMs and accesses virtual disk files.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

A .vmdk is a file, and can as such be altered in many ways, be it in a VM environment, or by simply editing it using a hex editor.

IMO hashes for binary copies have to match 100%.
When you say it doesn't, did you calculate the hashes on both, the source and the target yourself, or did you get the hashes along with the files? If you got them along with the files, do they match on the source?

Which OS, and which copy tool/command did you use to copy the files? How are the external disks formatted, i.e. which file system?
Although unlikely, are .vmdk files included in A/V scanning?

If you cannot find a reason why the hashes shouldn't match, what about a binary compare. Does this show differences?

André

0 Kudos
janumanu
Contributor
Contributor

Thnx for the question from you.Actually I want to ask same question for my hot pics😆 but after trying again and again it failed.aaanow from all your conversation it solved.

thnx again

0 Kudos