VMware Networking Community
santunez2275
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Convert NSX Standalone to Primary/Secondary

Hello Guys

Any question, is possible change 2 NSX from Standalone to Primary/Secondary.

I have 2 vCenter where each vCenter have NSX in standalone. The idea is pass the vCenter to Cross vCenter and the NSX as primary and secondary

Is it possible to do this?

Thanks

Sebastian

Tags (1)
5 Replies
RaymundoEC
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If cath your question Ok it is possible to set an NSX manager to primary and in the other NSX manager to secondary, but first need to promote firs NSX manager.

+vRay
0 Kudos
Beingnsxpaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi santunez2275​ You can very well change the configuration from standalone to Primary secondary'

But these are few points to consider.

• When assigning the secondary role to a NSX Manager, the vCenter Server system linked to it must not have any deployed NSX Controllers.
  • The segment ID pool of the NSX Manager being assigned the secondary role must not overlap with the segment ID pools of the primary NSX Manager or the segment ID pool of any other secondary NSX Manager .
  • The NSX Manager being assigned the secondary role must have the standalone or transit role.

Please refer these articles for better understanding.

Assign Primary Role to NSX Manager

Add a Secondary NSX Manager

NSX - Configure NSX manager roles (Primary, Secondary, Standalone, Transit) - vCrooky

Configuring VMware Cross-vCenter NSX

Regards

Pradhuman

VCIX-NV, VCAP-NV, VCP2X-DCVNV

Regards Pradhuman VCIX-NV, VCAP-NV, vExpert, VCP2X-DCVNV If my Answer resolved your query don't forget to mark it as "Correct Answer".
LuisLeitaoIPT
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Pradhuman,

Sorry for picking up on this post so late in the game, but I have a similar question.

My scenario has 3 vcenters, each one with its own nsx standalone.

The thing is, I already have logical switches being used in a production environment.

I've read the articles you provided, and I've been searching all over VMware KB's, and i can't find a clear answer about a possible change in my scenario.

Do you know, if there is any chance o can change my 3 NSX Managers, from 3xStandalone, to 1xPrimary and 2xSecondary maintaining the logical switches, etc ?

Thank you very much in advance.

/LuisLeitao VCP-DCV2019 VCP7-DTM
0 Kudos
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, you can do that. When you implement cross-VC NSX you have the possibility of using universal objects, but you are still able to use local objects, and this includes LS.

Here's a snippet from a nice book called VMware NSX® Multi-site Solutions and Cross-vCenter NSX Design that shows this situation, although some care should be taken regarding DLR connection:

"A local LS cannot connect to a UDLR; a local LS must connect to local DLR. ESGs can connect to both local and universal logical switches, providing routing between local and universal networks"

This book is free: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/nsx/vmware-multi-site-sol...

0 Kudos
LuisLeitaoIPT
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You for the extra info Mauricio.

Now there's only the dependency from vCloud. I'll have to figure out with VMware if it can maintain the management of the objects or not.

/LuisLeitao VCP-DCV2019 VCP7-DTM
0 Kudos