VMware Cloud Community
sbeautiful
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Consolidate VMDisks is very slow and provisioned space on datastore is increased

I received an alert telling me to perform disk consolidation. I had a disk and 3 snapshots, I had already launched the delete all snapshots command, now I have launched the consolidation command, it reached 16% in 16 hours but the thing I can't understand is that the space occupied by the main virtual machine disk has gone from 400gb to 3.70tb and is still increasing. The snapshots weren't that big, they were 15GB, 20GB, 80GB. Can anyone help me?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jimmy15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

it will resolved..show me virtual machine home folder...
share the error while powering up the vm, .vmx file and screenshot of summary tab....
for time being reduce memory size of VM and try..

regards

PS: Mark kudos or correct answer as appropriate 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please run the two CLI commands df as well as ls -lisa in the VM's folder and post the results.

André

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This has nothing to do with NSX, which VMware product are you using to run the VM?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
sbeautiful
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In attachment screeshot

0 Kudos
sbeautiful
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I started the disk consolidation and the datastore is completely full, now the machine does not start, not enough space, I use esxi 7

0 Kudos
Jimmy15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

it will resolved..show me virtual machine home folder...
share the error while powering up the vm, .vmx file and screenshot of summary tab....
for time being reduce memory size of VM and try..

regards

0 Kudos
sbeautiful
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If a snapshot file is missing is possible start virtual machine from original disk file, the first?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What about the ls -lisa command output?

Please consider pasting screenshots directly into the reply instead of attaching them, or - even better- paste the text output instead of screenshots. This makes it easier to follow up.

André

0 Kudos
sbeautiful
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Now file 0003 is missing, i can start or not virtual machine?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I can't follow you with "file 0003 is missing", please clarify.

Not sure why exactly the base virtual disk has been inflated. Maybe you are hit by https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/56608!?

According to the flat file's size, it may be just a matter of a few GB that's missing to be able to consolidate the snapshots. Is it possible to increase the datastore size by let's say 100GB?

André

0 Kudos
Jimmy15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

as per screenshot of ls -lisa , I can see 003 is not required. u can power ON the VM.

however you don't need 0001,2,3.vmdk et all. If u want u can move them to different location and check.

regards

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

@Jimmy15 

>>> however you don't need 0001,2,3.vmdk et all.

Are you serious? What makes you think that these snapshot files are not needed anymore? These are snapshot files, and without them, the VM would revert to a previous state, i.e. result in data loss!

André

0 Kudos