VMware Networking Community
seangadson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Configure NSX (Host Transport Nodes Section)

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody has configured NSX (if I were to go through the UI Fabric -> Nodes -> Select the right vCenter and Host -> Configure NSX)on a host via API I am trying to figure out where the starting point is or any pointers to get started I am new with NSX.  My guess is that the Steps are to:

1) Create A transport Zone

2) Create an IP Pool:

3) Create Transport Network Profile

4) Create Transport Node: NSX-T Data Center API Guide

I am just wondering if this is the right process or if there is a simpler path

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AramAvetisyan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

the procedure would be:

1. Deploy NSX manager OVA

2. Add Compute Manager

3. Deploy 2 more NSX manager nodes.

4. Create Uplink Profiles (or use defaults)

5. Create NIOC _rofiles (or use defaults)

6. Create transport Zones

7. Create IP Pools for TEPs

8. create Transport Node profile(if you use vSphere esxi clusters)

9. Assign that profile to vSphere cluster to prep the hosts.

10. create segments

11. deploy Edge node VMs

12. create Routers.

etc..

Procedure might change depending on environment specifics. liek for example if you need to move your vmk interfaces to N-VDS as well.

If you are going to use Ansible, VMware guys have already automated this all for you, so you can just use examples from there: ansible-for-nsxt/examples at master · vmware/ansible-for-nsxt · GitHub

If your goal is to write all this manually using REST calls, then good luck, you will have to do a lot of API guide reading Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You'll need to be more specific what exactly you're trying to do. One of the first steps is to configure the Compute Manager. Once you can pull in the clusters reported by vCenter, you typically select one or more. From that point, the hosts inside are automatically prepared. Any future hosts you add to a prepared cluster results in those new host(s) being automatically prepared once the new resources are discovered by a periodic process. So when trying to automate the configuration of an NSX-T environment, what aspect are you trying to automate or what's the scenario?

0 Kudos
seangadson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

thanks for the response.  I want to fully automate the node configuration once the NSX Manager is deployed from the OVA file.  Right now I already have the process to add the compute manger via api but now I want to actually do the process of configuring and installing nsx on the node (the section in the UI Fabric -> Nodes > Host Transport Nodes section).  when I got to the API documentation there is not configure NSX rest call like when I see in the UI but I do see create Transport Zones and Transport Nodes  In the API section I was wondering if I need to follow that path but instead of in the UI find the api calls to do that and that will be the same as configure NSX?

0 Kudos
AramAvetisyan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

the procedure would be:

1. Deploy NSX manager OVA

2. Add Compute Manager

3. Deploy 2 more NSX manager nodes.

4. Create Uplink Profiles (or use defaults)

5. Create NIOC _rofiles (or use defaults)

6. Create transport Zones

7. Create IP Pools for TEPs

8. create Transport Node profile(if you use vSphere esxi clusters)

9. Assign that profile to vSphere cluster to prep the hosts.

10. create segments

11. deploy Edge node VMs

12. create Routers.

etc..

Procedure might change depending on environment specifics. liek for example if you need to move your vmk interfaces to N-VDS as well.

If you are going to use Ansible, VMware guys have already automated this all for you, so you can just use examples from there: ansible-for-nsxt/examples at master · vmware/ansible-for-nsxt · GitHub

If your goal is to write all this manually using REST calls, then good luck, you will have to do a lot of API guide reading Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
seangadson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok cool I was just wondering may the force be with me Smiley Happy

0 Kudos