VMware Networking Community
marioxyz
Contributor
Contributor

Changing VTEP Teaming Policy

Maybe someone has done this and can confirm or deny.

If I have an existing NSX Environment 6.1.4 and currently using a VTEP cfg of Active/Passive and want to move to an Active/Active VTEP Teaming Policy do I need to perform the following?  ("to move to active/active VTEP uplinks, he had to remove the transport zone, backup the ESGs, delete them and restore them using the API".)WOW!! That is what I am being told. I simply can't unconfigure under installation/Logical Network Preparation /VXLAN Transport, then reconfigure with a new teaming Policy?:smileyconfused:

Any input greatly appreciated!!

1 Reply
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In order to unconfigure VXLAN on a cluster, the cluster must not belong to a Transport Zone.  In order to you to remove a transport zone, you must remove the logical switches attached to the Transport zone.  In order for you to remove the logical switches, you need to remove an Edge interfaces and VMs attached to the logical switch.  Another thing to consider is that if there is an existing VTEP port group on the vDS, all hosts connecting to that VTEP must have the same VMK teaming policy.  This blog entry suggests manually changing the port group load balancing algorithm via the vSphere Client/Web Client and then updating the NSX configuration via the API to match, so if hosts are added to the cluster, they will be configured with the updated vmk teaming policy.  That being said, I see here that manually modifying the teaming policy for VXLAN logical switches is not supported.  Not sure if that strictly applies to logical switches only, or VTEP port groups as well.

If the previous approach is not palatable, the following approach is another option:  Put a single host in maintenance mode, Remove it from the cluster, Reboot host, Remove host from existing vDS, Create new vDS, Add host new new vDS with 2 uplinks, Create a new cluster, Move host to new cluster, Initiate host preparation in new cluster, Configure VXLAN for that cluster, Add new cluster to transport zone, Remove host from maintenance mode, Repeat for each host.  It's more steps, but it's clean.  It will preserve your logical switches, your DLR, and your transport zone. Of course, it will require vMotioning VMs to the new cluster.  The NSX Edge UI in the vSphere Web Client allows you to relocate the location of the edge appliance, provided all prerequisites are met, if Edges are part of the equation.

You can test it out both procedures using the NSX environment in VMware Hands On Labs (HOL-SDC-1603), as your mileage may vary.