VMware Networking Community
Sateesh_vCloud

Cannot complete the operation. See the event log for details - NSX VIBs failed

I installed NSX VIBs manually on ESXi host server

1. esx-vxlan
  2. esx-vsip
  3. esx-dvfilter-switch-security

However when I hit resolve button in NSX --> Installation --> Host preparation   it shows installing VIBs but failed to enable agent

Cannot complete the operation. See the event log for details

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
9 Replies
VijaySendhur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In rare cases the installation of the VIBs succeeded but for some reason one or both of the userworld agents does not functioning correctly

If Message bus service is active on NSX Manager:

P.lease check the messaging bus userworld agent status on hosts by running the command /etc/init.d/vShield-Stateful-Firewall status on the ESXi hosts

It should be running

Check Message bus userworld logs on hosts at /var/log/vsfwd.log

esxcfg-advcfg -g /UserVars/RmqIpAddress

Run this command on the ESXi hosts, it should display the NSX Manager IP address

Run this command on the ESXi hosts to check for active messaging bus connection

esxcli network ip connection list | grep 5671 (Message bus TCP connection)

0 Kudos
VijaySendhur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also Please ensure the following are working fine.

1. DNS settings in the ESXi host are working fine for the NSX host preparation to succeed.

2. TCP/80 from ESXi to vCenter is not blocked which is required for the host preparation.

ocecil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had this exact same issue while deploying NSX in my DR site. Check your DNS and make sure it is set up correctly for all your hosts before preparing the hosts. I initially had DNS left blank while I was getting this error, but soon as I configured DNS on ESXi, VIBS were installed correctly.

Sateesh_vCloud

DNS is the trick ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
RaymundoEC
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I support this, "DNS is the trick", this made my day a hell once, so please check that.

+vRay
0 Kudos
ravindrasaggam9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes

0 Kudos
ShirinKumar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI,

Can you please check the UWA Agent is working fine and communicating with NSX Controller properly, you can verify it by the below command.

The user world agent (UWA) is composed of the netcpad and vsfwd daemons on the ESXi host. UWA Uses SSL to communicate with NSX Controller on the control plane. UWA Mediates between NSX Controller and the hypervisor kernel modules,except the distributed firewall. Communication related to NSX between the NSX Manager instance or the NSX Controller instances and the ESXi host happen through the UWA. UWA Retrieves information from NSX Manager through the message bus

agent.

we can verify the status of User World agents (UWA) from CLI:

/etc/init.d/netcpad status

From the ESXtop, You can verify the Deamon called netcpa running or not.

Also you can check at the logs of the UWA in the below location

User World Agents (UWA) maintain the logs at /var/log/netcpa.log

Hope you can find something in Netcpa log.

0 Kudos
RaviMV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The user world agent (UWA) is composed of the netcpad and vsfwd daemons on the ESXi host. UWA Uses SSL to communicate with NSX Controller on the control plane. UWA Mediates between NSX Controller and the hypervisor kernel modules,except the distributed firewall. Communication related to NSX between the NSX Manager instance or the NSX Controller instances and the ESXi host happen through the UWA. UWA Retrieves information from NSX Manager through the message bus

agent.

we can verify the status of User World agents (UWA) from CLI:

/etc/init.d/netcpad status

From the ESXtop, You can verify the Deamon called netcpa running:

Verify NSX Installation from ESXi host _2

User World Agents (UWA) maintain the logs at /var/log/netcpa.log

Verify Installation Status of NSX VIBs:

Below are the 3 NSX VIBs that get installed on the ESXi host:

1. esx-vxlan
  2. esx-vsip
  3. esx-dvfilter-switch-security

Let’s verify that the all the above VIBs are installed using the below command

esxcli software vib get –vibname esx-vxlan

Verify NSX Installation from ESXi host _4

esxcli software vib get –vibname esx-dvfilter-switch-security

Verify NSX Installation from ESXi host _5

esxcli software vib get –vibname esx-vsip

Verify NSX Installation from ESXi host _6

That’s it. We have verified the status of NSX ViBs installation on ESXi hosts. check if any thing is missed out.

Helpful ?

0 Kudos
shaefner
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The issue here is most likely TCP/80 from vCenter to NSX Manager is not allowed.  This is required for the host preparation.

Check out http://stevehaefner.com #runnsx
0 Kudos