VMware Networking Community
swDev96
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I get NSX-T License key for Host?

Hello.

I want to know whether I can get nsx-t license key for host using nsx-t api and how

I can't find license key for host on nsx-t web 

Thank you for your help:)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brisk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It doesn't really matter. In the old model, you would license the amount of sockets you have in your environment. It's 1 key for x amount of sockets. NSX manager just looks at how many hosts you've prepared for NSX and applied a transport node profile to. If the amount of sockets in those hosts is more than you have licenses for, it will throw errors.

In the new model it's the same but with cores instead of sockets.

From what I know, you can't really see which key is applied to which host, and again, it doensn't really matter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BarryGrowler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

NSX-T licenses are applied at the NSX Manager level, not directly to individual hosts. Once a valid license key is added to the NSX Manager, it automatically enables NSX-T features on all managed hosts.

You can retrieve the applied license details using the NSX-T API endpoint GET /api/v1/licenses, which requires a valid authentication token.

0 Kudos
swDev96
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If license is applied at the NSX manager level, does it mean that license can be changed on same host if nsx-t rebooted?

For example, license A was applied to the host by NSX manager and after NSX rebooted license B can be applied to the same host by NSX manager?

0 Kudos
Brisk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It doesn't really matter. In the old model, you would license the amount of sockets you have in your environment. It's 1 key for x amount of sockets. NSX manager just looks at how many hosts you've prepared for NSX and applied a transport node profile to. If the amount of sockets in those hosts is more than you have licenses for, it will throw errors.

In the new model it's the same but with cores instead of sockets.

From what I know, you can't really see which key is applied to which host, and again, it doensn't really matter.

0 Kudos
swDev96
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer.

I'm using old version(3.2.3) and I figured out there's 3 different licenses with different license key in my system.

I understand that I need to license the amount of sockets, but I just want to know that license key applied to specific host is immutable or not and I understand there's no way to figure it out, right?

0 Kudos