VMware Networking Community
lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

CDO disabled

Hi. In my company we were having some problems with data plane. We are running NSX-V 6.4.6 and we found out after the upgrade, CDO was disabled.

I've read the documentation and it says that it sets to disabled by default and recommend to use a VNI. Enable Controller Disconnected Operation (CDO) Mode

We have some tests planned for the weekend. Do you recommend enabling CDO at this version for resiliency?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi lucasbernadsky​ hope you are doing fine

If you are having issues with the data plane i'd suggest checking the host preparation of the clusters and make sure NSX version is the same across all clusters.
Also, make sure that all hosts under the host preparation tab are marked as green.

If you have experienced any issues with the controller clusters i'd suggest to enable CDO.

Why is this:
The controller cluster is in charge of keeping the VIFs and VTEP tables aswell as the routing consistent across all the data plane (esxi hosts)
If the controller plane is down and CDO is not enabled the esxi hosts will not be able to know in which host the holds the correct VTEP Table information, so data plane will be affected.

With CDO enabled you have a Global VTEP list which is consistent across all esxi hosts and will prevent this kind of errors from happening

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi lucasbernadsky​ hope you are doing fine

If you are having issues with the data plane i'd suggest checking the host preparation of the clusters and make sure NSX version is the same across all clusters.
Also, make sure that all hosts under the host preparation tab are marked as green.

If you have experienced any issues with the controller clusters i'd suggest to enable CDO.

Why is this:
The controller cluster is in charge of keeping the VIFs and VTEP tables aswell as the routing consistent across all the data plane (esxi hosts)
If the controller plane is down and CDO is not enabled the esxi hosts will not be able to know in which host the holds the correct VTEP Table information, so data plane will be affected.

With CDO enabled you have a Global VTEP list which is consistent across all esxi hosts and will prevent this kind of errors from happening

0 Kudos