VMware Networking Community
dvino821
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Asymmetrical Routing

Hello,

While doing some testing in the lab (NSX 6.1.1 and 6.1.4), I have noticed that ESGs (with dynamic routing enabled, OSPF in this case) seem seem to drop packets, if they:

- Receive a packet from a source address, on an interface, that differs from the interface, that the route in the routing table specifies, that matches that source address.

I have not seen this documented anywhere. Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DaleCoghlan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The NSX ESG is implementing Unicast Reverse Path Forwarding (uRPF).

You will normally see this when running a pair of Edges with ECMP and you try to ping an interface on the "other side" of one of the Edges from where your packet originally come from. If your packet didn't traverse the same Edge it is pinging it will generally be dropped by uRPF as it will show the route back to the source going out a different interface to the interface the packet was received on.

Dale

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DaleCoghlan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The NSX ESG is implementing Unicast Reverse Path Forwarding (uRPF).

You will normally see this when running a pair of Edges with ECMP and you try to ping an interface on the "other side" of one of the Edges from where your packet originally come from. If your packet didn't traverse the same Edge it is pinging it will generally be dropped by uRPF as it will show the route back to the source going out a different interface to the interface the packet was received on.

Dale

0 Kudos
dvino821
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

I just heard the same from support today.

Doesn't seem to be documented anyway though.

0 Kudos