VMware Networking Community
Czernobog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Applying NSX-T license to NSX-V

I run an environment where NSX-V 6.4.8 is deployed. For some time now I am preparing to move to NSX-T, which a test env running for some time now.

The prod environment is constanlty expanding, but, since we plan to move to NSX-T at some point, my company hase been purchasing only NSX-T licences, not NSX-V.

This leaves the prod environment with NSX-V underlicensed - for the 10 Hosts in my inventory, I have only 10 NSX-V CPU licenses, BUT I have enough NSX-T licenses to cover all the demand.

This brings me to the point of this thread - the transition to NSX-T is delayed, but I do not want to leave the prod environment underlicensed. So, I want to apply my NSX-T licensing key to the NSX-V solution in the vCenter, up until I get NSX-T in production. Both NSX-V and NSX-T licenses are from the "Enterprise (Plus)" tier. When trying to do this, I get following message:

pastedImage_0.png

From my experience, it does not *really* matter what license is applied to the NSX-V solution, hence the underlicensed state - NSX does not seem to mind. But I am afriad this time all of the listed features might be deactivated and I would have apply the NSX-V key again and recover functionality.

Can anyone give a tip on how to handle this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This issue is documented here: VMware NSX for vSphere 6.4.1 Release Notes

• Issue 2130563: Warning message appears when assigning NSX Data Center license: "The selected license does not support some of the features that are currently available to the licensed assets"

If you have an NSX for vSphere license assigned, and then assign an NSX Data Center license, you see the following warning message: "The selected license does not support some of the features that are currently available to the licensed assets". This is because the two licenses define the NSX features differently. If you are assigning a license edition that licenses the same features as your current license, it is safe to ignore this message.

See VMware knowledge base article 2145269 for more information about NSX licenses.

Workaround: Verify the new license supports the feature you need, and ignore the warning message.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This issue is documented here: VMware NSX for vSphere 6.4.1 Release Notes

• Issue 2130563: Warning message appears when assigning NSX Data Center license: "The selected license does not support some of the features that are currently available to the licensed assets"

If you have an NSX for vSphere license assigned, and then assign an NSX Data Center license, you see the following warning message: "The selected license does not support some of the features that are currently available to the licensed assets". This is because the two licenses define the NSX features differently. If you are assigning a license edition that licenses the same features as your current license, it is safe to ignore this message.

See VMware knowledge base article 2145269 for more information about NSX licenses.

Workaround: Verify the new license supports the feature you need, and ignore the warning message.

Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey Czernobog​,

This is correct but if your license is NSX Data Center, if your license is just shown as NSX, then you cannot usa that for NSX-V.

Czernobog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks, the info helped, I just wanted to be sure.

I've applied the NSX-T key (Data Center E+) and there was no negative impact. All features are there and the vCenter still shows 0 CPU usage Smiley Happy

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos