VMware Networking Community
AlbertColl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any manual procedure to setup the uplink IP address of an Edge VM T0

Hi,

I plan to create an Edge VM's connecting to two external BGP routers on an NSX-T V2.5 (the latest by now). The subnets connecting to each external BGP router are pre-defined by the routers administration authority.

As far as I researched, I have not found a way to manually setup these subnets into the T0 uplinks of an already created edge VM.

Is there any straightforward way to setup or modifty the external T0 Upink IP address within the NSX-Manager, without having to resort to API?

The only way I found to achive this is via API, by using the "t0-uplink-ip" parameter in the JSON script when creating the T0. But it requires programming, some utility like Postman to execute it, and I ignore whether such uplink IP will allow to be modified on the fly after the T0 creation.

Best regards in advance.

Albert Coll.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You do not set anything regarding the T0 gateway in the Edge VM itself but directly on the gateway. The Edge VM is not a virtual router appliance (many people tend to think of it like the ESG of NSX-V which is) but a pool of resources used for centralized services, that is for hosting the SR of both Tier-0 and Tier-1 routers.

That said all the Tier-0 gateway's interfaces can be configured directly through the GUI. Since you are on 2.5 the best place to do this is in Networking > Tier-0 Gatways. On the Tier-0 Gateway you which to configure click on the 3 dots > edit. Then under INTERFACES there will be a number next to External and Service Interfaces. Once you click on that number you can add or edit interfaces and configure/modify IP addresses. Uplink interfaces on Tier-0 gateways are referred to as type External.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You do not set anything regarding the T0 gateway in the Edge VM itself but directly on the gateway. The Edge VM is not a virtual router appliance (many people tend to think of it like the ESG of NSX-V which is) but a pool of resources used for centralized services, that is for hosting the SR of both Tier-0 and Tier-1 routers.

That said all the Tier-0 gateway's interfaces can be configured directly through the GUI. Since you are on 2.5 the best place to do this is in Networking > Tier-0 Gatways. On the Tier-0 Gateway you which to configure click on the 3 dots > edit. Then under INTERFACES there will be a number next to External and Service Interfaces. Once you click on that number you can add or edit interfaces and configure/modify IP addresses. Uplink interfaces on Tier-0 gateways are referred to as type External.

0 Kudos
AlbertColl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your clarifying answer.

Best regards.

0 Kudos