VMware Networking Community
neutronscott2
Contributor
Contributor

Advanced NSX setup (CLI only)

I have a customer deployed ESXi host which I tunnel over a VM but since it is not a cluster it makes Lifecycle Manager unusable as the host must enter maintenance mode before it will do anything.

NSX vibs seem to add GENEVE tunneling. I currently use GRE (over IPSec provided by network gear). I found the net-vdr command and seem to be able to setup most of the things necessary without a control or management plane but I just don't know enough about NSX itself to poke around until it works.

1. Is a GENEVE tunnel to the ESXi host itself possible with NSX?
2. Has anyone else dived into this net-vdr command besides listing existing connections?

I just don't know all the terms yet. I have created a DSwitch0 and have a VDR attached to that and an LIF.  Not sure where the tunnel endpoint is set or where the vmk comes in.  Does the NSX vmk receive the inside traffic and will transmit out my vmk0 or do I need the NSX vmk on a physical adapter...

Any insight is helpful as I play with this mostly for learning. My real deployment can be reworked other ways but with NAT not an option to vCenter a tunnel does seem best. My current approach only suffers during updates which I can do manually...

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies