VMware Networking Community
WarlockArg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Active-Pasive Egress functionality in multisite with single NSX/vCenter

Hi,

In the document named "VMware NSX Multi-Site Solutions and Cross vCenter NSX Design Guide" it talks about a scenario where you have a multi site but only with one vCenter and NSX Manager. In my case, I have two clusters, each one in each site in order to work as active/passive.

I have deploy a pair of ESG in HA (no ECMP) in site 1 and other couple of ESG also in HA in site 2.

The document says that this active/passive egress functionality for the ESGs is controlled by setting a preferred routing metric for site 1 egress routes. The scenario is like the following:

Muti-Site Scenario.jpg

I have the Transit Network between the DLR and the ESGs of both sites in a Logical Switch and I configured OSPF between the DLRs and both ESG (each pair of ESGs appears as one because they are in HA mode). I see in the DLR that it formed two OSPF adjacencies, one against ESG in site 1 and other one with ESG in site 2.

The quiestion is, how do you configure that outgoing preference in the egress routing of the DLR if both ESGs are advertising the same default route? Because the "Transit Network" is the same for the DLR and the two ESGs, OSPF automatically forms and adjacency between each ESG. And for the DLR point of view, those two adjacencies are formed in the same uplink interface. So I cannot configure a greater cost for one ESG than the other, cause the cost is set in the interface, no for the neighbor.

The idea I had is to put two different segments (two different Logical Switches) between the DLR and the ESGs, having in the DLR two uplink interfaces, one against each ESG. The problem is DLR doesn't support running OSPF in more than one uplink interface.

So, how do I manage to have ESG from Site 1 as the preferred route and the ESG of site 1 as an alternative one?

Regards,

Guido.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WarlockArg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, I solved the problem. The solution is configure BGP instead of OSPF between the DLR and EGP.

With BGP you configure two different neighbors separately from the DLR. When you configure the neighbor you can set a weight to it. So, you set greater weight for the ESG in site 1 and a lower one to site 2 EGP.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WarlockArg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, I solved the problem. The solution is configure BGP instead of OSPF between the DLR and EGP.

With BGP you configure two different neighbors separately from the DLR. When you configure the neighbor you can set a weight to it. So, you set greater weight for the ESG in site 1 and a lower one to site 2 EGP.

0 Kudos