VMware Networking Community
yokoth
Contributor
Contributor

About the range of influence when a failure occurs in NSX-T Manager

Hi

I am currently testing the NSX-T Mnagaer for failure.
Will the network created by NSX-T Manager or the network extending L2 from on-premises become unusable if the NSX-T Mnager fails?

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
p0wertje
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

From the reference design guide page 17 VMware® NSX-T Reference Design - VMware Technology Network VMTN
See page 16 for the architecture.

2.1.2 Control Plane
The control plane computes the runtime state of the system based on configuration from the
management plane. It is also responsible for disseminating topology information reported by the
data plane elements and pushing stateless configuration to forwarding engines.
NSX-T splits the control plane into two parts:
● Central Control Plane (CCP) – The CCP is implemented as a cluster of virtual
machines called CCP nodes. The cluster form factor provides both redundancy and
scalability of resources. The CCP is logically separated from all data plane traffic,
meaning any failure in the control plane does not affect existing data plane operations.
User traffic does not pass through the CCP Cluster.
● Local Control Plane (LCP) – The LCP runs on transport nodes. It is adjacent to the data
plane it controls and is connected to the CCP. The LCP is responsible for programing the
forwarding entries and firewall rules of the data plane

Cheers,
p0wertje | VCIX6-NV | JNCIS-ENT | vExpert
Please kudo helpful posts and mark the thread as solved if solved
0 Kudos
yokoth
Contributor
Contributor

Hi p0wertje

Thank you for your reply.
I think the control plane is integrated into Manager since NSX-T 2.4.
Is it okay to assume that even if NSX-T Manager stops completely, there will be no impact? In this case, it is beyond the scope of control plane , so I imagine that it will have an impact.
For example, if NSX-T Manager stops completely, I think that the network created by NSX-T Manager will not be usable.

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
p0wertje
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Yes. controller and manager are one now. But it still has management and control plane.
Data plane is on the esxi-hosts/edge nodes.

When the manager is down, the network still works. But connecting new vms to it does not work. until the manager is back.

Cheers,
p0wertje | VCIX6-NV | JNCIS-ENT | vExpert
Please kudo helpful posts and mark the thread as solved if solved
0 Kudos