VMware Networking Community
networlddsg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

About NSX Edge load balancer Weight

Hello.

Weight is set in Pool of load balancer

Please tell me what action will be taken if Weight is set.

I confirmed the operation

We had a movement that was frequently allocated to servers with high Weight numbers

Is this movement correct?

I'd like to do traffic forwarding to the intended server.

(BIG-IP - Priority Group Activation) operation

For example

· There are four web servers (web1, web2, web3, web4).

- When normal, only load 1 is set for web 1 and web 2.

· When web 1 fails, only web2 communication

- When web1 and web2 fail, they communicate with web3 and web4.

To do this

Weight setting below.

web1 weight1

web2 weight1

web3 weight2

web4 weight2

Argorithm: Round-Robin

But the operation

Communication is possible in all situations.

pastedImage_7.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lhoffer
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The "weight" parameter is just a way of setting a proportion of the traffic that will be delivered to a given pool member so regardless of what you do, all servers in a given pool will always receive some traffic (some just receive more than others and higher weight receives more traffic so the way you've got it configured now, web 3/4 will receive twice as much as web 1/2).

Just to make sure I understand, it sounds like what you're after is to have web 1 and web 2 receive all the traffic unless both are down, and only then start sending traffic to web 3 and web 4.  If that's the case, you'll need to put web 1 and 2 in their own pool (let's call that 'active_pool' for the sake of this example) and web 3 and web 4 in a separate pool ('standby_pool' for example) and use an application rule to fail over to the 'standby_pool' when both servers in the 'active_pool' are down.  To do so, you can set the default pool on your virtual server to the 'active_pool' and then apply the following application rule:

acl active_down nbsrv(active_pool) eq 0

use_backend standby_pool if active_down

View solution in original post

4 Replies
lhoffer
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The "weight" parameter is just a way of setting a proportion of the traffic that will be delivered to a given pool member so regardless of what you do, all servers in a given pool will always receive some traffic (some just receive more than others and higher weight receives more traffic so the way you've got it configured now, web 3/4 will receive twice as much as web 1/2).

Just to make sure I understand, it sounds like what you're after is to have web 1 and web 2 receive all the traffic unless both are down, and only then start sending traffic to web 3 and web 4.  If that's the case, you'll need to put web 1 and 2 in their own pool (let's call that 'active_pool' for the sake of this example) and web 3 and web 4 in a separate pool ('standby_pool' for example) and use an application rule to fail over to the 'standby_pool' when both servers in the 'active_pool' are down.  To do so, you can set the default pool on your virtual server to the 'active_pool' and then apply the following application rule:

acl active_down nbsrv(active_pool) eq 0

use_backend standby_pool if active_down

bayupw
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello, I wrote a blog post on that here: Creating an Active-Passive Pool on VMware NSX Load Balancer

Bayu Wibowo | VCIX6-DCV/NV
Author of VMware NSX Cookbook http://bit.ly/NSXCookbook
https://github.com/bayupw/PowerNSX-Scripts
https://nz.linkedin.com/in/bayupw | twitter @bayupw
networlddsg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

lhoffer>

Thanks for your comment.

understood.

0 Kudos