VMware Communities
NickZz95
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Running an VM in a Test environment on Esxi 6.7

Hi All,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but i am new to VMware.

I am trying to run through a DR test situation, where i can boot up a VM server inside ESXi which is running on independent host, so i have our live hosts running a certain VM server which is being backed up to Veeam, i have downloaded the VBK file which i have then extracted into the VMX file / VMBK file etc. I have then imported these files into ESXi on the individual host when i try and boot the VM on this host its set up with the same IP address off the live host and then try's to battle for that IP obviously at this point I have killed the test VM, is there a way to change the IP off the test VM inside ESXi without having to boot the test VM?

For the purposes of this test we have the individual host on the same network but off the domain....  obviously ideally we would have it off site on a different network but we do not have the facilities for this at the moment.

Again if there is a better way to do this let me know as i am new to this, basically my end goal is to run the test VM along side the Live VM but obviously not the both to interfere with each other.

Thank You

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

you can do it with veeam during the Restore procedure. It makes more sense, because the IP address is inside the VM, if you do a simple restore, you have exactly one copy of your original VM. To change IP you should turn it on on a new network separate from the original one.

Step 8. Specify Network Settings - Veeam Backup Guide for vSphere

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

you can do it with veeam during the Restore procedure. It makes more sense, because the IP address is inside the VM, if you do a simple restore, you have exactly one copy of your original VM. To change IP you should turn it on on a new network separate from the original one.

Step 8. Specify Network Settings - Veeam Backup Guide for vSphere

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
NickZz95
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you for the response, so in order to do what you recommend would i have to have another Veeam server running with Veeam installed Backup & Replication, on another network? As the whole point of this test is to prove we can launch one particular server in a disaster recovery IE the building isn't accessible.

Therefore currently we back up the vbk file to the cloud then can download and extract that vbk file into file formats vbx and vmbk to input into a individual host running esxi.

Cheers,

Nick

0 Kudos