VMware Cloud Community
JamieMa
Contributor
Contributor

router doesn't have an external interface after set gateway

My test bed is setup with vSphere 5.5, NSX and VIO beta. From the OpenStack Dashboard,

1. I create an external network from Admin account (DHCP disabled. an IP pool is configured).

2. Login in Dashboard as user1.

3. Create 2 test networks, a router connected to both test networks, 3 VMs (two on test network1, one on test network2)

4. Router gets two interfaces: one on test network1, one on test network2.

5. 3 VMs can ping to each other.

6. Set the router as the gateway to external network.

7. Router doesn't get an external interface with an external IP from the IP pool reserved.

8. 3 VMs can't reach to external network.

On the vSphere web client -> Networking & Security -> NSX edges page, my user1-router edge status is Spinning Busy. After a while, the status shows "The requested object: default could not be found. Object identifiers are case sensitive"

How should I troubleshooting for this? I try to console into the NSX edge appliance for user1-router. What is the login? I tried my NSX manager login and NSX controller login. It doesn't work for the edge. Since this edge is created from VIO, what is the default login?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Let me follow up with you over email.

0 Kudos
JamieMa
Contributor
Contributor

Attached are screen shots for network topology and the NSX edge status.

When I create the external network from admin account, what I should put in the "Physical Network" field? From HOL 1420, the physical network is "dvportgroup-228". I put "DPortGroup_external" , which is my external port group name. I seems that is wrong because the NSX edge status shows "The requested object: DPortGroup_external could not be found....". What type of information does that "physical network" field expect?

0 Kudos
JamieMa
Contributor
Contributor

There is definitely something wrong with the External network I created, but I don't know how to fix it. I believe the value I put in "Physical Network" field on the OpenStack Dashboard network creation page is wrong. OpenStack Dashboard returns OK when I create the external network. When I set a router as gateway to the external network. The NSX edge device deployment status shows error. (see attached nsx-edge-status2.jpg).

This time, I experience with admin account. I create a test-net, which has subnet 10.0.2.0/24. I deploy a VM, which is attached to test-net and assigned address 10.0.2.12. I create a router, test-router, which has a interface on test-net and is set as gateway to the external network.

The good news is:

1. From the OpenStack Dashboard admin user -> Project -> Network -> Routers -> Router Details (attached screen shot openstack-admin-router.jpg), the test-router has two interfaces. one on test-net, one on the external network.

2. From vCenter test-router VM summary page, the network adaptor 1 is connected to DPortGroup_external and adaptor 2 is connected to logical switch port group xvlan id 5001. (attached vCenter-test-router-vm.jpg)

The bad news is:

1. If I console to the test-router VM and run "show configuration interface". the vNIC0 is up without any address. vNIC1 is up with 10.0.2.1 address. (See attached vshield_edge_support_edge-15 log file)

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Jamie,

Couple of questions.

1. When you create the external network from Horizon UI as admin, are you setting the "Provider Network Type:" to "Port Group"?

2. The "Physical Network" should be the name of the portgroup you created for the external network. Does the cluster in which the edge VMs are deployed have access to this port group?

3. When you mentioned "disabled DHCP", did you mean it is disabled in the physical network or it is disabled in the Neutron subnet that is attached to the external network? It should be turned on in the Neutron subnet that you attach to the external network.

0 Kudos
JamieMa
Contributor
Contributor

When I create the external network, I login as admin.

1. From Admin->Network->Create Network, the Provider Network Type filed is a drop down list, the only choice there is VLAN.

Provider Network : Network Type: vlan;  Physical Network: DPortGroup_external;  Segmentation ID : 1000

2. In vCenter vSphere web client host & cluster -> network -> select my DVS, all the NSX edge VMs are listed under the port group DPortGroup_external.

3. When I add the subnet to the external network,  I deselect the DHCP on the subnet detail page and give a pool of external addresses there.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I just noticed you are using the beta version. The GA version is released and is available for download. I'd encourage you to try the GA version which has a handful of bug fixes and improvements.

0 Kudos
JamieMa
Contributor
Contributor

Which NSX version should I use with VIO GA? 6.1.2 or 6.1.3?

0 Kudos
KarolSte
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jamie,

With GA we recommend NSXv 6.1.3

Best Regards,

Karol

0 Kudos
JamieMa
Contributor
Contributor

Will NSX 6.1.2 work with VIO GA too?

0 Kudos
KarolSte
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jamie,

It might work too, but officially supported (vide Interoperability matrix) is only 6.1.3, so I would recommend using that version.

Karol

0 Kudos
nathan79
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try following the steps below to create an external network. Please note that an external network is different than a VLAN backed Provider network and they are created differently.

1. Create the Neutron External Network, Subnetwork, and define the Allocation Pool for Floating IP consumption
  2. In Horizon navigate to Admin > System Panel > Networks
  3. Select Create Network
  4. Enter a name for the external network in the Name field
  5. Select the admin project from the dropdown list
  6. Select Port Group from the Provider Network Type dropdown list
  7. Enter the dvportgroup-<###> in the Physical Network field (This is the moref-id of the portgroup you selected to be the external network during the deployment of VIO.)
    1. The easiest way to find the moref-id is to open up the vCenter web client.
    2. In vCenter, navigate to vSphere Networking
    3. Expand the DVS, and select the External Network port group
    4. In the AddressURL, identify the portgroup number and record it
  8. Select the Admin State checkbox to enable the network
  9. Select the Shared checkbox to make the external network accessible to other projects
  10. Select the External Network checkbox to identify the network as an external network and select Create Network
  11. Select the Edit Network option for the external network
  12. In the Subnets section, select Create Subnet
  13. Enter a name in the Subnet Name field
  14. Enter the <IP Network>/<CIDR> in the Network Address field
  15. Select IPv4 as the IP Version
  16. Enter the physical network IP gateway address in the Gateway IP field
  17. Verify the Disable Gateway checkbox is selected
  18. Select Next to continue
  19. Deselect the Enable DHCP checkbox
  20. Enter a range of IP addresses in the Allocation Pools field to define the floating-ip pool.  Use a comma to separate the start IP from the end IP address
  21. Select Create to complete

-nathan

0 Kudos