VMware Cloud Community
s4muz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

lincked and full clone of new instance VIO 3.0

Hello

When i start a new instance from a previous created image, it's always a linked clone from the image on vcenter. Is this a correct behavior? Can i change this for a full clone of a new instance?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
v_bala
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The use_linked_clone boolean option (in the vmware section of nova.conf) determines this behavior.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
v_bala
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The use_linked_clone boolean option (in the vmware section of nova.conf) determines this behavior.

0 Kudos
s4muz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again v_bala

I found the option and i will try.

0 Kudos
s4muz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

v_bala

Do you think that its a good practice to use linked clones? I mean for production environments.

0 Kudos
v_bala
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It depends on your requirements. If most of the instances are created from a small set of images, the space saving due to linked clones will be significant. Also, if you need fast provisioning of instances, linked cloning can be considered. The full clone operations will be much slower for large size images. If read performance is important, you may want to disable linked cloning.

0 Kudos
s4muz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Isn't possible to have both, right? Like use metadata to define if i want full or linked option for the instance. My problem it's more related to performance than space saving.

Thanks v_bala

0 Kudos