VMware Cloud Community
khalidibnelbach
Contributor
Contributor

VIO

Hi everyone,
I am planning to deploy VMware Integrated OpenStack in a Production environment, but I need in a first time kind of POC (Proof of concept) deployment. So, can you help me to set an architecture that will allow me to do this with a minimum requirements by proposing me some tracks like combining Edge and Management Clusters .. and editing the omjs.properties file to eliminate some redundancy in services/Openstack VMs .

Thank you in advance

Tags (3)
6 Replies
mvoelker
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have looked into deploying in Compact Mode?  If not, check out this part of the documentation:

VMware Integrated OpenStack Documentation

In compact mode the control plane is deployed in a non-HA fashion and uses substantially fewer resources: you can deploy it with just one ESXi host and two VM's.

0 Kudos
khalidibnelbach
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have seen this deployment mode but,

Actually, we are trying to do an NSX based deployment with minimum requirements in terms of number of VMs.. conserving the architecture of the NSX deployment.. And this by modifying the omjs.properties file before deploy VIO .. So what do you think about this configuration : ?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Stephane_Grandg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@khalidibnelbachyr

Hi,

You can use NSX with compact mode, there is no restriction there.

http://pubs.vmware.com/integrated-openstack-3/index.jsp#com.vmware.openstack.install.doc/GUID-15EBA8...

When you deploy VMware Integrated OpenStack using NSX, you can use two different deployment modes:

Compact Mode - Consists of a single ESXi host running two VMs and using a minimum of 120 GB of storage.

HA Mode - Consists of 8 or more VMs using a minimum of 552 GB of storage.

You cannot reduce the number of vm for the HA mode, this will break the ansible scripts use to manage the deployment.

regards

stephane

khalidibnelbach
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thank you for your response M. Stephane Grandgeorge !I

I decide to make a compact deployment, but I actually still have some questions about this deployment..
1. Compact Mode, consists of a single ESXi host running two VMs, is that only the Management ESXi, and instances will be running in another "Compute ESXi", or is this an all-in-one deployment?

2. In the compact mode, we talk about a "Management cluster in compact mode", will it be a cluster with only 1 ESXi ?

pastedImage_3.png

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Stephane_Grandg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sorry for the delay.

so in compact mode, the deployment will be 2 or more vms.

1) One vn hosting all the Openstack service

2) one or more vm per compute.

In VIO a compute is actually a vsphere cluster (so  one or more esx)

when we talk about "management cluster in compact mode" we talk about the set of VM we deploy to serve openstack service.

this is cluster is deployed on a single esxi or in a management cluster which could be shared with the edge cluster but the compute need to be a dedicated cluster.

khalidibnelbach
Contributor
Contributor

Great!
Thank you Mr. Stephane Grandgeorge

I have one last question, please, If this isn't disturbing you.. I am working on VIO in the framework of my Internship as a Final year IT engineering student. In the begineening I was planning to deploy VIO based-NSX or in VDS mode, but facing the requierements of this two last deployments, I didn't succeed to have this minimum hardware Req. in the company I am working for.. So I switched to the compact mode in order to make a kind of a Proof-of-concept; but really I dont now how can I enriche and valorize my work...

Thank you in advance.
Khalid

0 Kudos