VMware Cloud Community
faillax23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VIO and NVIDIA Grid

What about using NVIDIA Grid into VIO, there is a way to dinamically associate a vGPU to an instance with affinity rules?

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello faillax23,

What kind of application are you running?  Is this for a VDI environment?

OpenStack itself does not support dynamic additions of virtual hardware to an instance with the exception of networks and storage.

To accomplish what you are asking about, you would need to create a new image for Glance that already contains a vGPU.

If you are running VIO 2.0 and later, you can then enable VM-Host affinity in VIO so that your vGPU instance only runs on vSphere hosts that have the supported NVIDIA card.

-Trevor

0 Kudos
faillax23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your answer,

no is not a VDI environment but a dynamic environment composed with 3D softwares inside VMs.

So what I want to implement with VIO is something like Amazon just do (https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B00FYCCNJ0)

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

super cool use case!  If you want to share this story at the Austin Design Summit then just drop me a private message. I am sure the community will love it!

As Trevor mentioned you can either use the host affinity setting or more broadly use host aggregates for guiding the placement of these VMs/Apps.

Let us know if you have more questions and please connect with us to showcase this cool use case with other stackers.

arvind

0 Kudos