VMware Cloud Community
jmgriffes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VIO Guest Passwords

I noticed in VIO 2.0 it was claimed that VIO would be able to push in user passwords via VMware Tools (if I remember correctly). I've tried this now on Ubuntu and CentOS, but with no luck on either front.

Is there a specific user that needs to be set up in Linux to get the password pushed through? (ie, like root for Linux in vCloud Director, or I would assume administrator for Windows)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In 2.0, we did some additional Guest  customization work focused on Windows VMs. The way this works is by in Nova you send in extra parameters relevant for Windows VMs and we insert them as a part of VM creation process.

Linux is actually much more friendly than windows for cloud use cases Smiley Happy . And tools such as clout-init can be used to configure users/pwds as well ssh keys during setup.

Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz4i-i3VlP8&list=PLrUFyg1unBb8TtlWOzzTW1cz1bRzhEqor&index=15

Also just google "Setting up users in OpenStack linux VMs" for more instructions.

Let me know if that helps. Also if there is a suggestion of how to make this easier then that works as well. the problem with building an automation arnd VMware tools is that we those tools aren't necessarily installed in the images. So its only partially effective.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In 2.0, we did some additional Guest  customization work focused on Windows VMs. The way this works is by in Nova you send in extra parameters relevant for Windows VMs and we insert them as a part of VM creation process.

Linux is actually much more friendly than windows for cloud use cases Smiley Happy . And tools such as clout-init can be used to configure users/pwds as well ssh keys during setup.

Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz4i-i3VlP8&list=PLrUFyg1unBb8TtlWOzzTW1cz1bRzhEqor&index=15

Also just google "Setting up users in OpenStack linux VMs" for more instructions.

Let me know if that helps. Also if there is a suggestion of how to make this easier then that works as well. the problem with building an automation arnd VMware tools is that we those tools aren't necessarily installed in the images. So its only partially effective.

0 Kudos
jmgriffes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had heard about his mysterious config through cloud-init, but hadn't had the time to look more into it quite yet, (or had gotten into endless loops of useless information about it).

Thanks.

0 Kudos