VMware Cloud Community
benjamin000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VIO Cloud Images

We downloaded the qcow2 cloud images for Ubuntu, Centos and Debian and uploaded to glance. No matter what version I try we always receve the same error " No Operating System Found".

I have tried EVERYTHING and need some help. I have attached a screenshot of the error. I have tried every adaptor, storage type any other config setting that can be changed.

Can someone help or at least offer some tips as the the correct config such as Ubuntu LSIbus for adaptor ect.

I am ripping my hair out trying to get these images to work as I have been adviesd by VMware that they will work as VIO converts them to VMDK on import which I already know.

Regards Ben McGuire
0 Kudos
5 Replies
benjamin000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I may have worked it out.

When uploading the image to glance via cli I noticed that my glance datastore is on the Management Cluster and as the glance store is local storage I do not believe that the Compute Cluster  can access the glance storage on the Compute Cluster....I could be wrong but I am going to add another physical server to the Management Cluster and see if I can use that as a temp proviioning base for Instances and then I can vMotion the instances every fwe weeks to the main Compute Hosts...It sounds like a messy setup but as I am dealing with local storage on every host and do not have shared storage this may be the reason and the solution.

I will update once I provision a new server in a few days and report back....Fingers crossed.

Regards Ben McGuire
0 Kudos
benjamin000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Getting closer

I have to wait for a week but I think my issue is that when i deployed VIO I selected a datastore in the Management Cluster and hence when trying to boot an instance the compute cluster cannot access the glance image as it is stored on the Management Cluster datastore which is local storage and NOT shared.

Can someone confirm this before I go ahead and reconfigure my glance storage ??

Persistence pays hopefully

Regards Ben McGuire
0 Kudos
VirtualFox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would normally expect an error if it was a datastore access issue.

Could you provide link to the images you are testing with or are these images built in house?

0 Kudos
benjamin000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

The image i am testing is from the Ubuntu site specifically the 16.04.cloud.img file. There are a bunch of cloud images that are provided via the openstack market place.

I am on a phone so i cant give you the actual image link yet but will a little later.

I cannot think of anything else but what i know from another of my dicussions here ( take a look as i provide screenshots and logs in that discussion) is that i do not have shared storage but i added a shared NFS store last night so ill test that later today. As i dont have shared storage i suspect that the host that has the glance images is datastore-h1 and the host that provisions the images are esxi-1 and esxi-2 and those 2 hosts do not have access to that datastore as it is in the management cluster.

Does this matter? I think it does unless the vio control plane somehiw give it access.

Ill post here after i test the nfs store

Regards Ben McGuire
0 Kudos
benjamin000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

This is the tread with all the info

Adding KVM Hypervisor

I am going to test the NFS that I added and see if that makes a difference.....just now need to move the existing images first as i dont know how to add to a specific glance store when multiple glance datastores exist....any ideas on that ?

Regards Ben McGuire
0 Kudos