VMware Cloud Community
AndreCampos89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrading VIO 2.0 to 3.0

Hi there.

We have here at our datacenter a VIO 2.0 infrastructure with about 60 running VMs.

Of course, we're thinking about upgrading it from 2.0 to 3.0. But we have concerns in case any problems appear during the upgrade.

So I have a couple (maybe more) of questions:

1 - I saw there was a 2.5 version. Should I upgrade directly to 3.0 or should I go first to 2.5?

2 - In case any errors occur during the upgrade, is there a rollback option?

3 - My horizon dashboard is all customized (different logos, colors and a background). If I upgrade, my dashboard goes back to the default?

Any help is appreciated Smiley Happy.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stephane_Grandg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi AndreCampos89AndreCampos89

I'll try to help there :

1) 2.5.1 or 3.0.0

it depends.

2.5.1 is still based on kilo meaning that if you have any customized portal/application they will run the same way

3.0 is based on mitaka so the api my be different and hence any tools, customization you may have need to be validated.

So it depends on what you want to achieve., 2.5.1 might be slightly more stable than 3.0 being based on a old version of openstack but as well less feature rich.

2) Roll back option

yes, there is a roll back option.basically the upgrade deploy a brand new openstack deployment (new set of vm).

at the end it sync the two deployment and stop the old one. from there you can test and validate the new deployment.

a) you are happy with it and so delete the old one.

b) you are not satisfied or are encountering some issues with the new deployment, there you can switch back to the old deployment and delete the new one.

the only thing to keep in mind is we are not re-synchronizing back the new deployment to the old one. so you will effectively revert to the deployment at the state it was at then end of the upgrade.

see the  documentation:

Upgrade to VMware Integrated OpenStack 3.0

Videos » OpenStack Open Source Cloud Computing Software

see around 26:00

3) Customization

as long all your customization are done through the custom.yml, it will be preserved.

any other change done at the Openstack layer (not oms but the os nodes) will need to be re-installed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Stephane_Grandg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi AndreCampos89AndreCampos89

I'll try to help there :

1) 2.5.1 or 3.0.0

it depends.

2.5.1 is still based on kilo meaning that if you have any customized portal/application they will run the same way

3.0 is based on mitaka so the api my be different and hence any tools, customization you may have need to be validated.

So it depends on what you want to achieve., 2.5.1 might be slightly more stable than 3.0 being based on a old version of openstack but as well less feature rich.

2) Roll back option

yes, there is a roll back option.basically the upgrade deploy a brand new openstack deployment (new set of vm).

at the end it sync the two deployment and stop the old one. from there you can test and validate the new deployment.

a) you are happy with it and so delete the old one.

b) you are not satisfied or are encountering some issues with the new deployment, there you can switch back to the old deployment and delete the new one.

the only thing to keep in mind is we are not re-synchronizing back the new deployment to the old one. so you will effectively revert to the deployment at the state it was at then end of the upgrade.

see the  documentation:

Upgrade to VMware Integrated OpenStack 3.0

Videos » OpenStack Open Source Cloud Computing Software

see around 26:00

3) Customization

as long all your customization are done through the custom.yml, it will be preserved.

any other change done at the Openstack layer (not oms but the os nodes) will need to be re-installed.

0 Kudos