VMware Cloud Community
msamadzadegan
Contributor
Contributor

Storage Cluster in VIO

Hello,

I want to deploy vmware integrated openstack but I read this page and I can not figure out what did it said!

Datastore Clusters in VMware Integrated OpenStack

In this page the following part confused me:

• Only one datastore cluster can be used for each vCenter Server instance.

Could anyone declare this part of document?.

I have to explain my environment, I have 4 cluster of servers. 2 cluster, each include 10 servers and each server has 24 SAS hard drive for hybrid vSAN. 2 other cluster, each include 10 servers and each server has 24 SSD hard drive for all-flash vSAN. In addition I have 5 EMC SAN Storage that I want to use the for some purpose. So If i assume that I can create just one storage cluster, I need to install 5 vCenter server at least, 4 vCenter for each vSAN Cluster and 1 vCenter for EMC SAN storage. Am i right?, and If I'm wrong, please declare this part of document for me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Euuh no,

You don't need a vCenter Server instance for every cluster and storage system. You need 1 instance of vCenter Server, and ALL clusters can be part of that vCenter Server inventory and so can all storage systems. The "Datastore Cluster" they are referring to is a function of "Storage DRS". 

0 Kudos
msamadzadegan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @depping, In the vSphere environment, we can have multiple of datastore cluster with different storage DRS configuration and policy, So if I get it right, with VIO, we can have several datastore cluster with different SDRS configuration which VIO can use them. is it right?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

That is not what I am saying. 

you can have ALL storage systems (LUNs) being part of a single datastore cluster if you want, although not recommended, it is possible from an SDRS point of view.

I am not a VIO expert, so how that works for VIO someone else will need to answer for you.

0 Kudos